Pump DEF or bad idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DLAv8r

Reaction score
We have a new gas station very close by that happens to have pump def. I was all for the idea, but I've read opinions all over the place that its the way to go, or to avoid it as its caused issues (pump contamination, old DEF in tanks etc). This station is new and I have not noticed much traffic at it as its on the edge of town. It's a Racetrack station.

What is the general consensus?

At this point maybe I just stick with Walmart DEF in the jugs with a fresh expiration date?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local Walmart sells SuperTech DEF for $9/jug. That makes it $3.60/gal. I'll admit I don't look closely at the pump DEF stations, but the Pilot Truck Stops in my area are all ~$4/gal. The truck stops are going to move it in good volume, so freshness shouldn't be a concern. Smaller stations - who knows how old it is. The way I look at it is I can control the freshness of it by buying it at Walmart (every jug has a date stamp). I can't control the freshness buying it at a pump and I honestly don't think I can do much better on the price so Walmart DEF it is...

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a no brainer to buy it a Wal mart. They told me they go thru SKIDS of it a week. You never have to worry about it being old.
Most of the time DEF is in the big rig lanes and you have to go in and pay 1st, etc. Plus the container makes a great oil container. I dump my Fumoto straight into it, Pull the tube off and throw it away too, recycle the oil and the container. Easy and clean as a whistle. Plus, I can do it on my time and not search out a station that sells DEF. 2.5 lasts me a full oil change at least....

OP
OP
DLAv8r

DLAv8r

Reaction score
My local Walmart sells SuperTech DEF for $9/jug. That makes it $3.60/gal. I'll admit I don't look closely at the pump DEF stations, but the Pilot Truck Stops in my area are all ~$4/gal. The truck stops are going to move it in good volume, so freshness shouldn't be a concern. Smaller stations - who knows how old it is. The way I look at it is I can control the freshness of it by buying it at Walmart (every jug has a date stamp). I can't control the freshness buying it at a pump and I honestly don't think I can do much better on the price so Walmart DEF it is...

This is pretty much what I'm leaning towards. Thanks.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter, this is from experience, you can get bad DEF from the pump or jug. I have had both happen to company trucks. Since listening to the mechanic, who said, never let DEF go below 1/2 a tank, if you get some bad DEF, it will be diluted down with the good you already have in there, probably won't notice, we have not had an issue. The only time I remember a DEF filter being clogged was due to lack of maintnence, it was a Detroit with almost 450,000 on the clock, should have been changed at 200,000, but wasn't.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
Speaking of Def filters ...... do we have one on these? I just did the fuel filter at 18k / 35% on DIC .....

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe so, that's why they say to be somewhat careful about neck and filler cleanliness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts