Projector Headlight Question (HIDs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

"Big Blue"

Reaction score
Hello, I currently have 8000k HIDs as my main headlights in the car's stock housing. I'm to the point that I have had enough of other people flashing me with their brights. I tried angling them down which made them much better, but not enough for some people. There's no way that I would be able to switch back to what I use to have, so I am looking into getting projectors. I want them to be as similar looking as possible to the car's originals.
The ones that I found are these: Projectors Chrome Housing (02-AZ-CD00-PCC-R-A)
GMC-Sierra-1999-Projector-Headlights-Lighted-Halos-AZ-B.jpg

They have halos which I'm not sure if they would look right with my truck. The good thing is that I wouldn't have to wire them if I don't want to. Any ideas? Should I wire them?
GMC-Sierra-1999-Projector-Headlights-Lighted-Halos-AZ-E.jpg

My main question is for anyone that has projectors. I want them to be HIDs but from what I have found online, a lot of people are saying that their HIDs did not fit into the projectors. I contacted the seller for the ones I want and they said they would get back to me. So I might have to get new ones and just move my current ones to my fogs. Does anyone know what size bulbs will fit into a projector? And what HIDs are best for them? I know that 8000k, like I have now are bright, but would something like 4-6000k be brighter and work better with the projectors?
Thanks!

If anyone happens to have these exact headlamps, let me know! I'd like to see other pics and views of them, and what you think.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

And would anyone happen to know of the brightest possible high beams for my truck? (2000 Yukon SLT) It wouldn't matter it they are legal or not. I just want the brightest I can get without too much power that they fry the wires.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those housings look cool but halos are useless unless they're ccfl's. You can easily wire them up to see if you like them or not, if not, disconnect.
Some projectors use different bulb sizes so you'll have to find that out from the seller.
4300k-5000k will give you most useable light output. 6000k will(should) be bright white with a hint of blue. But, I've said this before, just because a brand says 6000k that doesn't mean it's going to be 6000k. My 6000k's look like they're 8000k.
Most of these aftermarket projectors are not true hid projectors, most are made for halogens and won't give a good output with hids. But once again, should ask the seller about that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
"Big Blue"

"Big Blue"

Reaction score
Alright thanks. They should be sending an email tomorrow. The halos would mainly be for looks. And it would depend on if I can figure the wiring out correctly. Will probably go with 6000k. I like my 8000k now, but I want as much light output as I can get.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with 6000k. Wiring the halos are super easy- you can splice them into your drl's or parking lights or have a separate switch to turn them on whenever. I have mine come on with my parking lights.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Some halos may already be wired into the light, thus no need to worry about wiring. As for HID brightness, wattage has as much to do with it as kelvins. Most HID kits are 35 watts. There are some out there that produce 55 watts. I recommend 55 watts for high beams only. Also, 55 watts appears more white in color than a 35 watt kit at the same kelvin rating. As it was said earlier, the kelvin ratings that produce the most useable light range between 4300-6000. As for halos, I've messed around with led and ccfl. I'd stay away from both. Leds are not visible during the day and have difficulty illuminating the entire ring at night. Ccfls look great when they work, but wear out fast. The diodes are known to fail quickly, and just like any fluorescent light take longer to warm up and illuminate during cold weather months. It'll be akward when one or both halos burn out in one light and not the other, which is usually the passenger side light. Looking at your avatar it appears that you have a NBS Yukon. Why not just get the OEM Denali headlights which are already setup for xenon/HID bulbs with the low beam already being a projector? That's the route I'd go if I were in your shoes. Only concern I see might have to do with possibly needing to change out the front grille too.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
"Big Blue"

"Big Blue"

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking running lights but not sure if they'd be that visible. I'll probably connect them to the parking lights then. So do your halos come on when the headlights are on? And how exactly did you connect them. I watched a video online and have the basic idea of how to, but I just want to make sure that I do it right. Haha, would hate to somehow have them light up when I hit the breaks. But I hopefully couldn't get it that wrong lol.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

I'd consider using a denali's. I might also look into that then. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:59 PM ----------

Just looked up the denali headlamps. I might go with that. I like that it still looks close to what I've got now. It doesn't look as if they have halos, which are cool, but aren't a deal breaker for me.
updated_a1r111003.jpg

Thanks for the tip!

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking running lights but not sure if they'd be that visible. I'll probably connect them to the parking lights then. So do your halos come on when the headlights are on? And how exactly did you connect them. I watched a video online and have the basic idea of how to, but I just want to make sure that I do it right. Haha, would hate to somehow have them light up when I hit the breaks. But I hopefully couldn't get it that wrong lol.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

I'd consider using a denali's. I might also look into that then. Thanks!

Yes, since the parking lights stay on with headlights. All I did was connect the negative wire of the ballast to the negative wire of the parking light and positive wire of ballast to positive wire of same parking light. Same on both sides. Btw, I don't think the denali projectors are made for hid but heard they work ok. And I do believe they will fit with no modification.

Last edited:
OP
OP
"Big Blue"

"Big Blue"

Reaction score
Alright thanks. Would it be better to just go with the ones I was planning on, since they are meant for HIDs? It really wouldn't matter to me because those are actually priced less. I just want to make sure I get the right one the first time. It would suck to get one then wish I had gotten the other.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks. Would it be better to just go with the ones I was planning on, since they are meant for HIDs? It really wouldn't matter to me because those are actually priced less. I just want to make sure I get the right one the first time. It would suck to get one then wish I had gotten the other.

If they are made for hid, I'd get them. And then the halos would be up to you whether to hook them up or not. Good luck.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just buy some OEM Denali projectors used from someone on here or other board.
They dont have lumen output issues like ALL Ebay projectors do.

the Only ebay projectors worth anything are the DEPO brand.

I run 55watt 4500's in mine and have not ever been flashed by a oncoming driver.

Add these if you want Halos Oracle Halor kit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada