Prices Paid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely be pushing 20% min off a 2017 especially because it's plausible to get at least 10% off a 2018. Companies get 20% thru "fleet" discounts and all they have to do is keep the vehicle 6 months... so you're competing against lots of small business owners who can weasle the fleet pricing on a brand new 2018 meaning a 2017 is worth much less than 80% of MRSP.

The big hold back for me is 15% sales tax in Nova Scotia. It's such a cash grab. Even with a $30,000 trade, I'd still have to fork over $4500 to the government.

Yup, and also 2017’s already have almost a years worth of depreciation built in since it’s so late in the year. In other words if you buy a new 2017 and turn around to sell it, you’ll be competing with people who bought 2017’s back over a year ago in 2016, which is fine but you need to get the big depreciation discount out of the dealer at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, and also 2017’s already have almost a years worth of depreciation built in since it’s so late in the year. In other words if you buy a new 2017 and turn around to sell it, you’ll be competing with people who bought 2017’s back over a year ago in 2016, which is fine but you need to get the big depreciation discount out of the dealer at this point.

True but most likely those did not sell at 20% off 6-12mos ago....I think it all works itself out honestly. so actually if purchasing and getting around 20% off, the dealer is accounting for the 12mos depreciation. Some places are offering close to 12% for 18s so that's where it becomes somewhat tough. most are in the 8-10% range but once it gets above 10% I tend to lean towards the newer model. For example, I can get a 18 XL SLT within hundreds of a 17 Burb Premier. The burb stickers about $8k more.

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
True but most likely those did not sell at 20% off 6-12mos ago....I think it all works itself out honestly. so actually if purchasing and getting around 20% off, the dealer is accounting for the 12mos depreciation. Some places are offering close to 12% for 18s so that's where it becomes somewhat tough. most are in the 8-10% range but once it gets above 10% I tend to lean towards the newer model. For example, I can get a 18 XL SLT within hundreds of a 17 Burb Premier. The burb stickers about $8k more.

Yes, I totally agree with that. IF they give you 20% off now for a 2017 then it works itself out. However, if the dealer tries to screw you by not budging and only giving 10% off a 2017 when we’re almost in December, then that’s Not a good deal, in my opinion, because of the built in depression. We agree.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I totally agree with that. IF they give you 20% off now for a 2017 then it works itself out. However, if the dealer tries to screw you by not budging and only giving 10% off a 2017 when we’re almost in December, then that’s Not a good deal, in my opinion, because of the built in depression. We agree.

totally...anything under 18% would be a bad deal at this point for a 17.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is likely why re-sale is so "bad" on domestic vehicles. You see a 20-30% hit to MRSP in the first year or 2 because they get blown out at year end, especially pick-ups. However, if you got 15+% off, your depreciation probably isn't all that bad. You don't see the steep discounts with Japanese brands though. I got 10% off my 4Runner and it was a leftover that had sat on the lot for months and people on that forum thought it was a miracle I got that much off.

Vandit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got a offer for 9% off a 2018 GMC Denali (MSRP $75,340) in Plano area in Dallas. How is that deal looking in my area?

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a offer for 9% off a 2018 GMC Denali (MSRP $75,340) in Plano area in Dallas. How is that deal looking in my area?

I think it’s good for a 2018.

JetWire1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any good dealer suggestions for the Southern CA area? I'm about to start hunting. Just sold my Toy Hauler for a Diesel Pusher RV and looking to trade in my 2013 Denali HD Diesel tow vehicle. Will be my first SUV. Looking for Denali 4x4 SWB. Great info on this site so far!