Price Gouging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thislife1977

Reaction score
Koons is an interesting case study. Suburbans have a significantly lower market adjustment than comparable Yukons (even at the same store) and apparently Woodbridge, Virginia in Prince William County has higher demand and values for vehicles vehicles than Tysons Corner in Fairfax County. Who knew?

One would think that the same dealer group with two stores close by would use a consistent mark up. Additionally, it is interesting that they have variation with their Maryland stores as well and that Maryland is significantly less costly.

The one thing I can say is that I am “wowed” by the Koons WOW price, but not in a good way![/QUOTE
I think the Woodbridge store was a fairly low volume store in recent years - especially compared to the Chevy store down the road. While there is a military presence because of Quantico and other military facilities in the general area, we do not see the saturation that we once saw even 15 -20 years ago where half my bock was active duty military. Now, I think we only have a handful of active duty families in our subdivision.
Im referring to the young enlisted still living on base, not the NCO’s with families who live in lakeridge and other subdivisions

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also check Chevy and gmc site for inventory. They list vehicles in transit to dealers as well. I have been looking at a suburban with the duramax now for about 2 weeks. As of Friday it was still at the dealer. They are moving fast but I think it’s mostly driven by the locality. I noticed if you do the buy online now option some give first responder discounts and some don’t give that option. Just dealer dependent I guess and the discount is not the same across the board. So it pays to shop around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once supply catches up with demand, prices will come back down. My local GM dealer has about 25 new cars on their lot when they normally have at least 200. Hell, Kia Telluride's are going for $5K over list around here. For a KIA!!!!!!

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once supply catches up with demand, prices will come back down. My local GM dealer has about 25 new cars on their lot when they normally have at least 200. Hell, Kia Telluride's are going for $5K over list around here. For a KIA!!!!!!

With this chip issue, supply isn't going to catch up with demand for the foreseeable next 12-18 months min.. I don't think people have a concept of how big, or how damaging, this chip shortage has been and will continue to be for automakers. There won't be any dealer concessions or incentives for a good while....

Also FWIW, Tellurides have been selling over list price for well over a year in SWFL. It basically started within about 6 months of when they were introduced and hasn't stopped since....

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With this chip issue, supply isn't going to catch up with demand for the foreseeable next 12-18 months min.. I don't think people have a concept of how big, or how damaging, this chip shortage has been and will continue to be for automakers. There won't be any dealer concessions or incentives for a good while....

Also FWIW, Tellurides have been selling over list price for well over a year in SWFL. It basically started within about 6 months of when they were introduced and hasn't stopped since....

Blame the global economy and offshoring for that. GM at one time produced chips in Kokomo, IN by their subsidiary, Delco Electronics. Delco was bundled with a few other parts manufacturers spun off and named Delphi. A few years later Delphi declared bankruptcy and those plants were shut down and the parts were sourced offshore.

The huge parking lots where electronic products for GMs and many other auto manufacturers were produced with over 15,000 tax paying employees sit empty and crumbling with weeds growing through the cracks. Today GM is begging the Biden administration for seed money to produce chips domestically. Yeah, I'm aware it's just one of many pathetic examples.

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I also noticed that this weekend. The Chevy/Cadillac dealer near me probably had 30 cars total on their lot. It looked so bad I was thinking they had shut down until i noticed the big sign "WE ARE NOT OUT OF BUSINESS, WE ARE STILL OPEN TO SERVE YOU".

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Highly,Highly doubtful.The world is awash in oil. The price may be higher, but it won’t be because of a shortage....That’s what makes the Dmax attractive in this vehicle. Side benefit... no valve spring issues.....

We were more awash in the 70s.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Also FWIW, Tellurides have been selling over list price for well over a year in SWFL. It basically started within about 6 months of when they were introduced and hasn't stopped since....[/QUOTia's are a supply and demand issue as well.

It is supply and demand for the Kia's as well. The GMC dealer has plenty of Acadia's with a $5000-6500 incentive. The Honda dealer is packed full of new vehicles, but the Toyota dealer is lucky if they have 10 on the lot.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blame the global economy and offshoring for that. GM at one time produced chips in Kokomo, IN by their subsidiary, Delco Electronics. Delco was bundled with a few other parts manufacturers spun off and named Delphi. A few years later Delphi declared bankruptcy and those plants were shut down and the parts were sourced offshore.

The huge parking lots where electronic products for GMs and many other auto manufacturers were produced with over 15,000 tax paying employees sit empty and crumbling with weeds growing through the cracks. Today GM is begging the Biden administration for seed money to produce chips domestically. Yeah, I'm aware it's just one of many pathetic examples.
And what is strange....they talked about turning the barely used Foxconn facility in SE Wisconsin into a chip manufacturing facility. But the critics say it is too far from the vehicle manufacturing plants. Really? You mean China is closer? How many chips fit on a semi-truck? It's gotta be better than what we are dealing with now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove