Price Gouging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rdr854

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While not 15k greedy, all GMC dealers in the DMV are adding “market adjustment” fees. Most are charging between 1500-5000. If you want to purchase a vehicle at MSRP in the DMV, buy a Chevy. FYI Country GMC in Leesburg is on the highside of “market adjustment. Look further west....Roanoke, Harrisonburg, etc......

Koons is an interesting case study. Suburbans have a significantly lower market adjustment than comparable Yukons (even at the same store) and apparently Woodbridge, Virginia in Prince William County has higher demand and values for vehicles vehicles than Tysons Corner in Fairfax County. Who knew?

One would think that the same dealer group with two stores close by would use a consistent mark up. Additionally, it is interesting that they have variation with their Maryland stores as well and that Maryland is significantly less costly.

The one thing I can say is that I am “wowed” by the Koons WOW price, but not in a good way!

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The direction we're headed there may be gas shortages by next year and these things will have $9,000 rebates, one never knows.

Highly,Highly doubtful.The world is awash in oil. The price may be higher, but it won’t be because of a shortage....That’s what makes the Dmax attractive in this vehicle. Side benefit... no valve spring issues.....

Thislife1977

Reaction score
Koons is an interesting case study. Suburbans have a significantly lower market adjustment than comparable Yukons (even at the same store) and apparently Woodbridge, Virginia in Prince William County has higher demand and values for vehicles vehicles than Tysons Corner in Fairfax County. Who knew?

One would think that the same dealer group with two stores close by would use a consistent mark up. Additionally, it is interesting that they have variation with their Maryland stores as well and that Maryland is significantly less costly.

The one thing I can say is that I am “wowed” by the Koons WOW price, but not in a good way!

The reason the Woodbridge store moves more units is its close proximity to Quantico. Young Service Men/Women love to purchase new vehicles and they get the Military discounts.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want a new vehicle search nationwide if your willing to travel. I will not buy a new car in the DMV area. I usually go to North Carolina but haven’t tried under this new atmosphere. The Yukon’s are in tighter supply than the Tahoe’s. But like many said if people keep paying the price then they will keep charging. We have to remember, people have boat loads of money. No vacations, no eat out dinners, forbearance on their mortgage etc last year. I have friends that never lost their job or had a decrease in pay, made boat loads in the stock market but yet called their bank and did the forbearance. No verification needed just say you fell on hard times. Most used kids home from school as justification in their mind but nothing required. So what’s an extra 15k to them when they didn’t have a mortgage payment for a year and made boat loads in the market. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rdr854

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason the Woodbridge store moves more units is its close proximity to Quantico. Young Service Men/Women love to purchase new vehicles and they get the Military discounts.
I think the Woodbridge store was a fairly low volume store in recent years - especially compared to the Chevy store down the road. While there is a military presence because of Quantico and other military facilities in the general area, we do not see the saturation that we once saw even 15 -20 years ago where half my bock was active duty military. Now, I think we only have a handful of active duty families in our subdivision.

OP
OP
Rdr854

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want the best deal? Use Auto Trader and search nationwide. Shipping is nothing compared to the markup or fly out and road trip it back. There's always deals to be had.
Sound advice. I’ve always used cars.com to research prices to make sure my local price was reasonable. When I looked at LT Suburbans this weekend online, I recall that the starting price was MSRP.

There are advantages to buying local, and a few hundred dollars in price difference is not a reason to go out of town. Having a relationship with a good service department is paramount because they can go to bat for you when you get into a grey area.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n