Premium smooth ride is not smooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergey A Rusakov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I am Sergey and new to this forum, so please bear with me for a moment.

Used 2011 Tahoe LT bought from a dealer. Vehicle had aftermarket wheels and worn tires.
Sticker says "Premium Smooth Ride" and glove box sticker lists ZW7 option.

I typically carry 1-2 passengers, small amount of luggage. No towing.
Suspension is stock, everything is factory original. 146 kMi. There are no squeaks nor any noises from suspension.

The question to you experts I have is that the premium smooth ride is not smooth. In fact ride is firmer than my older TrailBlazer had.

Driving on smooth road surface feels rigid, every asphalt irregularity is felt, e.g. cracks or pavement dent.

Being dissatisfied with the ride quality for the money I paid to vehicle inspector and he blamed wheels.

Replaced aftermarket wheels with factory original near new aluminum rims and installed four new factory size tires P265 70R17. All four tires are equally inflated to 30 psi. Balanced well.

I noticed little if any difference when replaced all four wheels. The ride is still firm.
So the problem seems to be not in wheels/tires.

If anyone had similar issue, from your experience, what should I check in suspension please?

Thank you,
Sergey

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am Sergey and new to this forum, so please bear with me for a moment.

Used 2011 Tahoe LT bought from a dealer. Vehicle had aftermarket wheels and worn tires.
Sticker says "Premium Smooth Ride" and glove box sticker lists ZW7 option.

I typically carry 1-2 passengers, small amount of luggage. No towing.
Suspension is stock, everything is factory original. 146 kMi. There are no squeaks nor any noises from suspension.

The question to you experts I have is that the premium smooth ride is not smooth. In fact ride is firmer than my older TrailBlazer had.

Driving on smooth road surface feels rigid, every asphalt irregularity is felt, e.g. cracks or pavement dent.

Being dissatisfied with the ride quality for the money I paid to vehicle inspector and he blamed wheels.

Replaced aftermarket wheels with factory original near new aluminum rims and installed four new factory size tires P265 70R17. All four tires are equally inflated to 30 psi. Balanced well.

I noticed little if any difference when replaced all four wheels. The ride is still firm.
So the problem seems to be not in wheels/tires.

If anyone had similar issue, from your experience, what should I check in suspension please?

Thank you,
Sergey

Your shock absorbers and struts are ten years old now Sergey, get some new ones. Don't get the pre-assembled struts, they are nowhere near the quality of the originals.

I have the same basic suspension that is all original still with All-Terrain tires and she rides great but does get a bit bouncy when she's not carrying a load or when the fuel tank is low. These things were made to tow and haul loads and run best with a load on.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You are already receiving some replies from the great folks on this Forum, and other folks will chime in with their thoughts.

OP
OP
S

Sergey A Rusakov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your shock absorbers and struts are ten years old now Sergey, get some new ones. Don't get the pre-assembled struts, they are nowhere near the quality of the originals.

If you mean front suspension: I do not have access to spring compression press to replace only shock absorbers, and may consider buying a strut.
ACDelco makes strut 903040RS listed to fit as OEM to this year Tahoe with ZW7 front suspension.
Or do you mean to replace rear shock absorbers as well ?

I have the same basic suspension that is all original still with All-Terrain tires and she rides great but does get a bit bouncy when she's not carrying a load or when the fuel tank is low. These things were made to tow and haul loads and run best with a load on.
One day I had to carry an unusually large load in this Tahoe (moving stuff for an event).
Interior of Tahoe was filled with boxes. Had maybe 1/2 ton of load.
When loaded that much the ride would become soft and smooth. It did not. Gained large inertia compared to empty, yes.
Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mean front suspension: I do not have access to spring compression press to replace only shock absorbers, and may consider buying a strut.
ACDelco makes strut 903040RS listed to fit as OEM to this year Tahoe with ZW7 front suspension.
Or do you mean to replace rear shock absorbers as well ?

One day I had to carry an unusually large load in this Tahoe (moving stuff for an event).
Interior of Tahoe was filled with boxes. Had maybe 1/2 ton of load.
When loaded that much the ride would become soft and smooth. It did not. Gained large inertia compared to empty, yes.
Thanks

I do not have a spring compressor either but am going to buy one, they are pricey but ride quality and durability are more important than the price of the tool. You could always sell it afterwards or rent one of the cheap kind from your local auto parts store.

Yes, replace all struts and shocks, springs too as I look at your saggy rear, it should stand at least two to three inches higher in the back.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you purchase a spring compressor, do not go with one that is intended only for cars, as you risk the unit breaking in the middle of the compression action, and injuring yourself, as these truck springs require much more pressure to collapse.

If you rent one, be sure that it is heavy duty enough to handle truck springs.

OP
OP
S

Sergey A Rusakov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, replace all struts and shocks, springs too as I look at your saggy rear, it should stand at least two to three inches higher in the back.

James suggested to replace also springs.

Do I really have to rent spring compressor to disassemble my struts to replace separately shocks and springs then ?
Cant' one avoid this possibly unnecessary disassemble-reassemble work and replace front struts as entire assembly, say by installing ACDelco strut assembly 903040RS (or even a softer equivalent) ?
Is there a catch I don't see between using a strut assembly and using separately a shock and a spring ?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do I really have to rent spring compressor to disassemble my struts to replace separately shocks and springs then ?
Cant' one avoid this possibly unnecessary disassemble-reassemble work and replace front struts as entire assembly, say by installing ACDelco strut assembly 903040RS (or even a softer equivalent) ?
Is there a catch I don't see between using a strut assembly and using separately a shock and a spring ?

Like I said earlier, you can certainly do it but they lack in quality and you are complaining about a bad ride.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

I can say from experience that you want to keep your factory springs and get some top quality shocks and struts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518