Premier Smooth Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S1W99

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forget, when the front struts were replaced, what other components, if any, were also replaced? Did you flip the rear shocks?

Have you inspected the truck's body mounts by chance?

Do you know anyone with a similar truck that can ride in yours and you in theirs to compare?
I put in a Mevotech front suspension kit from RockAuto. Upper and lower CA's, links and something else that came with the kit.

Are you saying to put the rear shocks on upside down?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in a Mevotech front suspension kit from RockAuto. Upper and lower CA's, links and something else that came with the kit.

Are you saying to put the rear shocks on upside down?

Well, you have further deviated from stock now haven't you? I'm on RA right now, see 3 Mevotech kits, 10473, 20473 and 30473. Which one did you get? If they are using poly instead of rubber bushings, my thinking is, it's going to ride rough. That's my experience anyway. GM OE control arms run over $600 now, usually we get what we pay for. Do we have a knowledge base on here with how Mevotech suspension parts perform compared to stock from other guys?

I asked earlier if you also replaced any other components with regards to the front struts?

As for the rear Bilsteins, didn't you post a picture of them upside down and they said it didn't matter? The exposed shaft is down, the closed end is up on yours? It should not make a difference but I have never run them this way and suggested flipping them over and going for a drive.

With this hodge podge of aftermarket, original and ACDelco parts how can you guarantee yourself restoration of the original ride since you didn't use original parts?

On another note, the alignment settings also contribute to how a car responds when going over bumps and pot holes and such. Read up on that and see if your alignment matches that description.

Those are arguably the best riding tires out there. If memory serves the short wheelbase with 20s runs them at 32 psi cold. If anything, they ride so good they could mask a problem! But then again, they are 20s and that size was not standard but optional with the ZW7 suspension. Still have a 7" sidewall versus a taller one for the 17 and 18 inch wheels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S1W99

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you have further deviated from stock now haven't you? I'm on RA right now, see 3 Mevotech kits, 10473, 20473 and 30473. Which one did you get? If they are using poly instead of rubber bushings, my thinking is, it's going to ride rough. That's my experience anyway. GM OE control arms run over $600 now, usually we get what we pay for. Do we have a knowledge base on here with how Mevotech suspension parts perform compared to stock from other guys?

I asked earlier if you also replaced any other components with regards to the front struts?

As for the rear Bilsteins, didn't you post a picture of them upside down and they said it didn't matter? The exposed shaft is down, the closed end is up on yours? It should not make a difference but I have never run them this way and suggested flipping them over and going for a drive.

With this hodge podge of aftermarket, original and ACDelco parts how can you guarantee yourself restoration of the original ride since you didn't use original parts?

On another note, the alignment settings also contribute to how a car responds when going over bumps and pot holes and such. Read up on that and see if your alignment matches that description.

Those are arguably the best riding tires out there. If memory serves the short wheelbase with 20s runs them at 32 psi cold. If anything, they ride so good they could mask a problem! But then again, they are 20s and that size was not standard but optional with the ZW7 suspension. Still have a 7" sidewall versus a taller one for the 17 and 18 inch wheels.
I'm attaching a picture of the rear shocks and what was on the MiVotech order. The shocks look like they are upside down. Never even thought to look for that.

Attachments

• PXL_20220602_165211864.jpg
    PXL_20220602_165211864.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220602-125717.png
    Screenshot_20220602-125717.png
    244.3 KB · Views: 5

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm attaching a picture of the rear shocks and what was on the MiVotech order. The shocks look like they are upside down. Never even thought to look for that.
Ok, so the Mevotech kit is the middle of the road. For comparison's sake, that whole kit is less than two control arms for GM OE.

All that was done then on the front struts was to replace the strut. The bump stop and other wear items were not replaced.

I think the lesson here is that if you want the Premium Smooth Ride, you have to use Premium Smooth Ride parts.

See if you can find guys on here who have purchased Mevotech control arms and ask them to chime in here with their experience with them.

OP
OP
S1W99

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record, after having the Mevotech kit installed overall it was firmer but not much different. It was somewhat harsh already. I thought the new struts and shocks and suspension parts would at least move it in the right direction but it did not.

Last edited:

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bilstein is a firmer more controlled ride, some like it some don’t. Also important is that not all ACDelco stuff is equal. Just because it’s an ACDelco part doesn’t mean it’s exactly what was on from the factory, I suggest looking up the strut by your vin and compare part # to what you installed.

Lastly, unless your springs are completely worn out and compromised you will gain nothing by replacing them, all they do is hold up the weight of the vehicle and potential payload. How it feels going down the road is a combination of everything else in the suspension starting with the tire and going up from there.

OP
OP
S1W99

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ACDelco struts are exactly what the GM dealer I called a few miles away installs on their repairs. He said it was the exact same thing I would get at the dealer.

Maybe all new rubber parts I didn't replace yet?
Regular springs to replace the heavy duty springs?

I'm not replacing the Mevotech kit unless I find out it's junk. Made no difference in the ride quality.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts