Premier Smooth Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...can you reset the AutoRide suspension controller in these things? I'm under the impression that they firm up the shocks incrementally based on time, mileage and cycles to account for wear.

Since mine doesn't have it, I cannot see those features. Tom and Joe would know. @gooffeyguy @Joseph Garcia

"Is there anything about that mount (#2) that can make the strut feel really firm when it comes to absorbing shocks? My problem, and I believe it's the same for Mark, is that the slower up and down cycling is fine. It's the sudden, sharp upward jolts that aren't absorbed and are transferred to the frame, body and passengers. Like the compression is valved too stiff. I just don't see anything about it that'd affect the ride quality that much, assuming it was in "operable" condition and not completely worn out with lateral slack in it. I'd hate to make a $180+ gamble and get nothing more than clean, shiny metal bits."

If #2 allows movement that is not good. Remember, the jounce bumper or bump stop is part of the strut assembly, if worn out it will deliver a bad ride. The Z71 bump stops are different than the Z55 and ZW7, all different part numbers and presumably different lengths.

Did I answer your question? Got an earful tonight that I don't listen! LOL

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since mine doesn't have it, I cannot see those features. Tom and Joe would know. @gooffeyguy @Joseph Garcia

I recall yours didn't had it but wasn't sure if you had ever messed with it on one that had.

If #2 allows movement that is not good. Remember, the jounce bumper or bump stop is part of the strut assembly, if worn out it will deliver a bad ride.

When I installed the Belltech struts, I just swapped over my original springs and mounts. I didn't detect any movement in the mount or I would've replaced them. They were so "sturdy", I thought they were just steel plates with a spring seat, a hole for the strut rod to bolt to and with studs to bolt to the frame.

The Z71 bump stops are different than the Z55 and ZW7, all different part numbers and presumably different lengths.

The BT struts came with new bumpers and I definitely installed them, modeled after the factory setup. Actually, they looked and felt very similar to how I'd imagine new OE bumpers to be.

Did I answer your question? Got an earful tonight that I don't listen! LOL

4d5a3d18a1078d2dc5f742517bd3c923.jpg

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall yours didn't had it but wasn't sure if you had ever messed with it on one that had.

Not yet.

When I installed the Belltech struts, I just swapped over my original springs and mounts. I didn't detect any movement in the mount or I would've replaced them. They were so "sturdy", I thought they were just steel plates with a spring seat, a hole for the strut rod to bolt to and with studs to bolt to the frame.

They are rubber in the middle.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver

I just learned (prompted by Mark's journey) that there's rubber in them. Maybe it hardens and that makes the strut firm?

Also, if you wanna reply to separate parts/sentences in a quoted message, place your cursor wherever you want to reply in the message and hit the space bar a couple of times. It'll automatically break up the quoted message and you can type your individual replies.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver

I just learned (prompted by Mark's journey) that there's rubber in them. Maybe it hardens and that makes the strut firm?

Also, if you wanna replay to separate parts/sentences in a quoted message, place your cursor wherever you want to reply in the message and hit the space bar a couple of times. It'll automatically break up the quoted message and you can type your individual replies.
The rubber is hard and holds the strut in place. When the rubber breaks down the strut moves around, laterally and a little on the vertical, usually making noises. Thanks for the tip, I was having technical difficulties!

OP
OP
S1W99

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried three times today to get the part coil spring part# from Bilstein's site for my truck. Only shows me the shocks. I'll try to call them tomorrow.

As for the front ACDelco strut, with of all the OE parts listed on RockAuto, how do I know which spring is for my truck?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried three times today to get the part coil spring part# from Bilstein's site for my truck. Only shows me the shocks. I'll try to call them tomorrow.

As for the front ACDelco strut, with of all the OE parts listed on RockAuto, how do I know which spring is for my truck?
Post the last 8 digits of your VIN, and @915_Tahoe may be able to provide you with the correct part numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne