Power steps on '22 malfunctioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
Anybody running into a similar issue with the cold weather?

Started off 2 days ago with my driver side staying down when parking the car. It would attempt to retract to the up position but wouldn't complete the cycle and end up down. While starting to drive, I could hear it cycle a couple times and it would finally end up in the up position. I removed as much snow/ice build up as possible from the step.

This morning, while taking my 45 minute drive to work, I could hear it cycling up and down while driving several times. Confirmed it was the steps I was hearing as I was able to look down out the window to see the steps going up and down while I was slowly driving. Then when exiting the car, the step didn't come down but seems to not be fully up in place.

I'm thinking there might just be some ice/snow buildup somewhere causing an issue to malfunction like this, but we got another 5 days of bitter cold before anything will thaw out. Anybody have experience?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to find a car wash in your town that has indoor facilities that you can go in in a protected atmosphere and blast them off including all the joints pretty well. Within 15 or 20 minutes or so you’ll know whether that’s the issue or not….. these things don’t like build up. Winter Sucks…

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, sounds like its more than likely just snow/ice buildup. If you guys got anything like we did (im several hours north), im sure there is a bunch of crap stuffed all up under there. Parking it indoors for the night and letting everything melt off would pretty much tell you if thats your issue.

OP
OP
BrokerThis

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
I'll probably have to do that tomorrow and kick the wife's car outta the garage for the night since her spot is filled with all the outdoor Xmas decorations that still need to be put away hahaha. Hopefully doing that won't put me into the doghouse

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll probably have to do that tomorrow and kick the wife's car outta the garage for the night since her spot is filled with all the outdoor Xmas decorations that still need to be put away hahaha. Hopefully doing that won't put me into the doghouse
It won’t if you wake up early and start her car her so it’s nice and warm when she leaves!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, do you have any mud flaps on? I put the weathertech no drills on, because otherwise the boards behind the front wheel just take too much junk in the winter.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what its worth, we drove my wifes last denali for 125k miles in northern michigan and never even once did we ever have an issue with them not working or malfunctioning. But i do know its a fairly common issue when in snowy climates. Think about it…they have a failsafe built in that senses pressure so they dont pinch a foot or something else and cause damage. Dosnt take much snow buildup to start causing issues.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of struggling with these steps. I ordered myself the usual fixed

OP
OP
BrokerThis

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
Also, do you have any mud flaps on? I put the weathertech no drills on, because otherwise the boards behind the front wheel just take too much junk in the winter.
Yep, bought em when the rig was actually being built and had em on hand when taking possessio of it. they do a pretty decent job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz