Power steering w/hydroboost problem turning left

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this has been kicked around before i am sure but the ol lady is whining so looking for some idea's
2004 suburban 5.3 power steering with hydroboost 214K on the clock, everything in regards to power steering and the hydroboost unit is original, checked the fluid and the level is normal.

she say's that she has been getting hard steering when turning left sometimes, like almost as hard as dry steer. no brake issue's braking seems to be perfectly normal.

I haven't dealt with the hydroboost before but I recall reading about issue's like this before on the forum and I think it may have something to do with a valve in the power steering unit? or the pump? not really sure looking for some input or idea's from anyone that has dealt with this before, any recomendations or test I can do to narrow it down

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
ok, well it seems to be intermittent at the moment would that seem normal if it was the steering box going out or would it do it all the time?
I sometimes have the issue where if I apply the brakes, and shift into R to back into a parking space or driveway, when the rpms drop because of the gear change, if I don't give it a second to react and start cranking the wheel sometimes my steering will get really hard, but if I give it a second to respond to the load from going into gear, steering is fine.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sometimes have the issue where if I apply the brakes, and shift into R to back into a parking space or driveway, when the rpms drop because of the gear change, if I don't give it a second to react and start cranking the wheel sometimes my steering will get really hard, but if I give it a second to respond to the load from going into gear, steering is fine.
I asked her if it was doing it during low idle she said no it was while moving a turning left, but i'll ask her to pay some attention to the rpm's when it does it.

merlin1128

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a similar problem that has me stumped.. I am not having a hard time steering at all and did replace the power steering pump due to it whining and thought that was the problem to this. What happens is when I start it up and start to drive away as soon as I turn the wheel pulling out of my garage I hear this "whoosh" sound and sounds like it is coming from the left front wheel. It will only do it one time and I can drive for hours and it will not do it again. If I shut down the Tahoe and wait a little bit then start to drive away that noise come right back every time the wheel is turned. Not getting why it is only one time it does it and steering is perfect. Brakes feel fine too and all fluids are at proper levels.... Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a similar problem that has me stumped.. I am not having a hard time steering at all and did replace the power steering pump due to it whining and thought that was the problem to this. What happens is when I start it up and start to drive away as soon as I turn the wheel pulling out of my garage I hear this "whoosh" sound and sounds like it is coming from the left front wheel. It will only do it one time and I can drive for hours and it will not do it again. If I shut down the Tahoe and wait a little bit then start to drive away that noise come right back every time the wheel is turned. Not getting why it is only one time it does it and steering is perfect. Brakes feel fine too and all fluids are at proper levels.... Any thoughts?
weird no idea what it could be unless you didn't fully bleed the system?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
hard steering only one way is a bad steering box.

The pump puts the pressure out and the box reacts to that pressure. Intermittent makes it tough but IMO it is likely a gear box or possibly one of the lines with an intermittent inside collapse restricting flow. I would also want to lift front end and unload the joints and make sure there is no binding in the joints or linkage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec