Power steering stiffens up when truck warms up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a reman PS box, that when the truck starts from cold is incredibly light. But when the trick gets hot, and/or the AC has been on a while, most of the time when I stop to park the steering is very stiff.

Any ideas?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Could be a faulty box but remember that the box reacts to pressure provided by the power steering pump. Likely have a pump problem and when you do it, replace the lines/hoses too. Use power steering fluid and not trans fluid. Bleed the system correctly as well. What brand box did you install?

What I recommend as steps for refilling and bleeding air out of power steering system.

Raise front tires off the ground. Fill fluid and with engine off, turn stop to stop slowly and add fluid as needed. Turn stop to stop again and again fill as needed. I recommend doing this at least three times before dropping the vehicle back to the ground. Then start the engine and add fluid as needed. Turn wheels stop to stop slowly. Refill as needed and turn stop to stop until you do not have to add fluid. Then roadtest at least one time, I always do it twice, and top off fluid as needed. Check for leaks.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was, flushed a bit, properly bled and new fluid. No lines replaced or pump replaced. Been on a couple years but it's pretty much always done it. I don't drive far often and so the truck doesn't often get up to full temp. It's not been much of a problem but it's annoying. Fluid looks fine.

Could it be the highway thing that reduces the pump pressure not working properly?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your P/S Pump have the EVO valve on the pressure line? ( wires connect to it, on rear of pump). Otherwise, your pump is failing if a flush doesn't fix it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No. I would say you got a bad box from the get go. At this point I would replace both and the lines/hoses and see if the box is a warranty item. But, remember that I love to spend other people's money so if you want, just do another box.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I didn't have the issue with the previous steering box and so I've not thought the pump very likely. I haven't noticed any wires but I will check. And as for swapping it out again, I'll hold off on that thought until I'm 100% certain.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did you change the Steering Box? Did I miss previous posting about this? More info please. I was leaning towards a reverse malfuction in the EVO system, Or pump output pressure low.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No EVO wiring I can see.

Box was changed because it was leaking from the pitman shaft. Was installed early last year with a LARES 1417 Remanufactured. Fluid is still clean and truck has done around 2k miles since.

What I don't get about it being the pump is why it's only happening when hot, and it works perfectly when cold/warm. Just the hotter/thinner fluid?

Thanks for the help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is why I said to replace the lines/hoses at the same time. One other thing, how does the belt look? Is the hose kinked or bent instead of being routed for full flow? Power steering fluid or trans fluid?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Does it have a power steering cooler on it? If so, check for restricted air flow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu