Power steering issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marbor

Reaction score
Good evening to all

97 tahoe LT 5.7 no upgrades all stock

So this morning was pretty chilly and I used my remote start let it run for about 20 min before I headed out. Once in I noticed the wheel was pretty hard to turn but once I got going it seemed to get easy and no problems off to work. When coming home I pulled into the driveway in reverse and wow no power steering its tuff to turn took a spin around the block and no problems but when stopped and turning it it goes a little then gets harder.

I parked and looked for leaks, checked fluid no leaks and full of fluid. With hood up i had my daughter turn the wheel and I see the hose jump but also hear a small wind as if there is no fluid.

No grinding from the wheel pully all seems fine when at idle but once turning there's a little his and no power. Any known problems with this ? What else can I look at to figure this thing out before winter hits?

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like a power steering pump problem or gear box but my money is on the pump. May have an old enough hose that is coming apart inside the hose and causing a restriction.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

OP
OP
Marbor

Marbor

Reaction score
Sounds like a power steering pump problem or gear box but my money is on the pump. May have an old enough hose that is coming apart inside the hose and causing a restriction.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the advice and yea forgot to put in the make model,updated on original post.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does seem like a failing pump from your description, possibly a piece of something stuck in the flow control valve at pressure line fitting. You could try flushing it, but thats as much work as changing the pump then flushing system like you should do. Do you have the EVO on back of pump? Know the history of truck? Old pump no fluid changes swap it out.

OP
OP
Marbor

Marbor

Reaction score
As an update I pumped out all the old fluid and ran the truck for a few miles making every left and right turn, no horrible sounds and steering was fine. I refilled the res with fresh fluid and now the steering is perfectly fine. Prior to me semi flushing it would not want to turn when at a stand still and a little ******* occasion while driving. Now it just turns smooth weather stopped or driving.
I’m gonna keep an eye out to ensure no other problems come up.
For the most part I assume there was a plug that needed to be freed and if so where is it now????
I keep an eye out hopefully all is good for now and no more issues.
Thanks for the help.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably just contaminated fluid and not a 'plug'.

Did you completely flush it or just empty the reservoir?

If you haven't completely flushed it you should. Is very easy and won't hurt.

Do it with the front of the truck off the ground, and after don't start the truck until you've turned the wheel left and right full lock a few times.

But a PS pump replacement is very likely in your future somewhere, mine too if it makes you feel any better :)

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A complete flush will usually buy some time if the pump is just a little worn. Pump failures are usually from Circulating crap in the system which you already know you have. Cycle the gear multple times to flush crud.
Start Over. Its Steering and maybe Brakes.

OP
OP
Marbor

Marbor

Reaction score
Probably just contaminated fluid and not a 'plug'.

Did you completely flush it or just empty the reservoir?

If you haven't completely flushed it you should. Is very easy and won't hurt.

Do it with the front of the truck off the ground, and after don't start the truck until you've turned the wheel left and right full lock a few times.

But a PS pump replacement is very likely in your future somewhere, mine too if it makes you feel any better :)

Thanks for the info, no I didn't fully flush how is this done? I simply pulled all fluid from the reservoir and refliiled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvaldez224