Power steering fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, while checking out all the fluids I noticed that the power steering fluid level was about half a centimeter to a centimeter lower than the dipstick. Topped it off and over the next few weeks I'd notice power steering fluid on the driveway. It keeps dripping until it gets to that same level then stops.

Truck's a '14 PPV. Wondering if any of you have had the same issue? Found the TSB below but not sure if it's applicable to my case as the fluid in the reservoir never completely runs out.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10043850-7806.pdf

AverageBri

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where is it dripping from? My 2009 PPV was leaking from a corroded connector on the power steering cooler (sitting in front of the radiator on driver side), so the dripping showed up from the driver side corner of the radiator "shelf" where the fluid would pool. It all depends on where the leak is coming from, which could be multiple spots.

Hey guys, while checking out all the fluids I noticed that the power steering fluid level was about half a centimeter to a centimeter lower than the dipstick. Topped it off and over the next few weeks I'd notice power steering fluid on the driveway. It keeps dripping until it gets to that same level then stops.

Truck's a '14 PPV. Wondering if any of you have had the same issue? Found the TSB below but not sure if it's applicable to my case as the fluid in the reservoir never completely runs out.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10043850-7806.pdf

OP
OP
CobraKing

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@AverageBri Thanks for the response. I'll check that area and advise back. Engine bay's dirtier than a mofo so it's tricky to pinpoint this. :D

OP
OP
CobraKing

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just posting a follow up as it got too cold up here in Canada to pinpoint the leak in my garage plus I had way too many other commitments so I had the dealer take a look.

Unfortunately it was the steering rack itself so they recommended replacing the whole unit. Truck did have about 200K (Kilometers) on it from the OPP (most likely hard Kms) and about 45K from me so that explains the wear and tear on the rack.

An expensive repair but I've been doing almost everything else myself and the truck has been great right from the time I picked her up. Steering's really tight right now too which probably means the bushings on the original rack were shot as well.