AC Condenser and trans fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewder

Reaction score
So my 2017 'hoe (purchased CPO) recently had the torque converter replaced. That comes with a hefty replacement of trans fluid and was done roughly 4-5 weeks ago. Yesterday it was warm enough to turn on the AC and as luck would have it, it's blasting hot air. it's not even remotely cool air... I can also tell that my Condenser was previously replaced and I can see what looks like AC oil/residue on the bottom engine cover as evidence of that.

As I read the TSB for the known condenser leak, I noticed this step:

6. Fill the transmission fluid auxiliary cooler full of transmission fluid.

I'm wondering if perhaps the auxiliary cooler possibly was missed during the torque converter replacement and is now impacting my AC? Is that possible or something I can easily check? I leave tomorrow on a 1,700 mile journey and I'm just a bit concerned...

//Brew

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slap some gauges on it and see if your pressure is correct. If you have not replaced your condenser, I’m betting a chocolate milk shake, there is your sign.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are 2 different systems. The trans cooler is built into the radiator with an additional one in front of the radiator if you have a trailering package. The condenser is there as well, but you obviously know that.

I'd do what @RST Dana stated and see if there is any pressure in the A/C system. If you see oil residue on the condenser, then that's a good indicator that it has failed. My assumption is that it leaked out over winter in the colder temps. The pumps have temp protection to not cycle below 35-40F I believe.

Check the condition/color of ATF and see what you got there. If all good, then it's probably time for more CPO warranty on the A/C system

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe