Power programmers???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is why I'm waiting for Justing to get the hand held. I can't wait!!

Unless you have a Chicago area tune day, then I'm in. :D

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that there was a programmer for a 6.2 Denali? I'm beginning to think I have the only 6.2 6 speed Tahoe 4X4. I guess the issue is the 6 speed? Somebody build this, I'll buy it!

elbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the issue is the 6 speed? Somebody build this, I'll buy it!

So are we saying BlackBear will only tune the TCM in person?

I have the SuperChips Cortex running a 93 octane tune on my 2009 Pontiac G8 GT w/ 6 spd auto. It works "fantastically" using "50% Superchips" value to tune the TCM in that car. It's actually insanely good.

I did plug the Cortex into the new Tahoe and set up an 87 octane tune (with torque mgt at 50% SC value), but was disappointed like the other guy above said. It shifted a little better / revved higher, but still seemed sluggish and had some quirks.

It started out the same way with the G8. On that board, we all kept trying the different values until we found that 50% sc value was the best.

I actually threw a small fit about the Cortex results on the Tahoe and was pissed that I didn't get the 4x4 6.2L that I was on the way to get at Covert in Bastrop (my normal dealer that was on the way gave me an equivalent "hot off the delivery truck" 5.3L for $3500 less - $7000 off MSRP with 0% for 72 mos.). I had test driven quite a few Escalades, though, and wasn't exactly impressed with them in stock form either.

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up with a 6.2 4X4 in black because my local delaer went out and got me the grey 6.2 I wanted some months ago and after I drove it, I walked away! It seemed SLOWER than my '07 2wd LTZ with the 5.3! Looked at a X5, Escalade, GL550 Benz, QX56, and came back to the Tahoe after talking to a couple of people who said you really have to give the 6.2 time to loosen up. When I went back to get the grey 6.2 it was gone. I've had this one for a month and now that it's got about 1200 miles, it has really picked up some steam already. It's obvious that it needs tuning. I'm on the "list" for the BB handheld whenever that happens. Right now, they can only flash your existing TCM/PCM and from all reports it's a HUGE improvement, but I'm not swapping ECM's (motor, trans or both) being in warranty. When a handheld is available, I'm in.

elbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel you on that. I'm still on the fence, but uber busy with other stuff, and the wife keeps saying "it's not a race car" and she loves it as is.

The "big GM V8" is in my blood, I guess. We've had: 2004 Silverado VHO (2wd vortecmax 6.0L, beta test for 2wd SSS), 2007 Trailblazer SS, 2007 Corvette, 2009 G8 GT as recent vehicles. It was damn hard for me to say no to the 6.2L....and they had to come off big time to make it happen....add in 2+mpg, wife not caring and me giving too much credit to the Cortex for its magic on the G8.....and we got the 5.3L.

I'll make it work for us......props on yours though.....they aren't making them anymore....2009 the only year for 6.2L 4x4 Tahoe.

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I found out I missed that grey one I was going to order a 2010 until I was told they weren't building it. I didn't realize they don't have cylinder deactivation until I bought it. Started out averaging 11.4 MPG! I'm not sure what it will do on the freeway, they have also done away with the "instant MPG" display in my '07. That truck gets 16 MPG average and I drive it like a work truck (hard). The 6.2 is up to a whopping 13.4 MPG average now, but it finally feels like it will outrun the 2WD 5.3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n