Power lift gate clicks but won’t open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobbijean1209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2015 Yukon xl Denali lift gate will click but won’t open when pushing the handle or key fob. Backstory, it was working fine before and then one day I forced it to open manually when really cold and possibly frozen shut (snow/ice on back bumper). It opened but I had to manually push it up and close when done. I did get it to open once again manually afterwards. It’s like the latch won’t release now. We’ve been able to get it to release the latch a couple of times but that is usually after pushing the handle like 50 times. The glass part opens fine with both the back button and key fob. Any suggestions as to the cause or how to fix?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way is to get a new GM latch and then hope you can get it open on last time and don't shut it. Replace said latch.

If it won't open, there's a procedure to drill a small hole in a certain spot (might even be a dimple on the plastic trim) and then use a pick or screw driver to manually release it.

OP
OP
B

Bobbijean1209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So it’s most likely just the latch causing it? When we do get it open, it won’t automatically lift or close. We have manually do it so I assumed I might have a reset something?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the latch and the actuator which acts as a shock to lift the liftgate. There was a technical bulletin several years ago on the 2015 for the actuator.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call, that is built into the driver side strut. Hard ro tell what failed until you can actually open it. Can you grab the handle, hear the click, and pull up, or is it stuck?

OP
OP
B

Bobbijean1209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good call, that is built into the driver side strut. Hard ro tell what failed until you can actually open it. Can you grab the handle, hear the click, and pull up, or is it stuck?
When I grab the handle, I can hear clicking but it’s not the latch. The latch won’t “unlock” to allow me to manual pull open the gate

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then it sounds like the latch failed. It can still make noise but not actually open the latch to the point of movement. It sounds like you might want to look up the manual procedure of drilling a hole and manually unlocking the latch

OP
OP
B

Bobbijean1209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Then it sounds like the latch failed. It can still make noise but not actually open the latch to the point of movement. It sounds like you might want to look up the manual procedure of drilling a hole and manually unlocking the latch
Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011