Power fold mirrors not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did some searching and it just seems like the answer always boils down to just replacing. So thought I would see if any of you guys had any other solutions.

My managers driver side mirror on his 07 EXT stopped folding (pass side works fine). When you hit the button you can hear the motor run but nothing moves. All other functions still work as they should tho. We lucked out and found a used mirror same color for half the price of everyone else on eBay. He bought and we got it in and installed it and what do you know it is doing the same thing. The seller claims everything was good to go when he shipped it. That could be true. One: he could be lying and not wanting to send any money back Two: he could be telling the truth and something else is up with the vehicle that we can’t figure out.

Just seemed strange to get two mirrors doing the exact same thing, but like I said, the guy could be lying and it never fully functioned like he stated in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You pull the glass and cap to check the gears? Could def be stripped on both or he got a pinched wire somewhere....

Edit: good video

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There could be something else in the truck wrong. But I doubt it. If the motor is running and there’s no movement, it’s likely that the gears that fold the mirror in and out are broken. It’s a very common issue from what I’ve seen with the NNBS trucks. The gears are made of plastic and the teeth break off pretty easily so they stop folding. I’ve also seen it with the NBS trucks as well. When it happens there’s no tension in the mirror housing and you can push the whole thing to fold in with your hand.
From what I understand there’s a company that makes replacement gears for them that are made from brass so they won’t break. I think you have to send the mirror to them and they disassemble the mirror, replace the gears, reassemble and ship them back to you.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There could be something else in the truck wrong. But I doubt it. If the motor is running and there’s no movement, it’s likely that the gears that fold the mirror in and out are broken. It’s a very common issue from what I’ve seen with the NNBS trucks. The gears are made of plastic and the teeth break off pretty easily so they stop folding. I’ve also seen it with the NBS trucks as well. When it happens there’s no tension in the mirror housing and you can push the whole thing to fold in with your hand.
From what I understand there’s a company that makes replacement gears for them that are made from brass so they won’t break. I think you have to send the mirror to them and they disassemble the mirror, replace the gears, reassemble and ship them back to you.
You can buy motor and gears from them and do it yourself.... just for future reference chase.

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys I’ve wanted to tear into but since it’s not mine I don’t want to break something. It still takes some effort to push it in and out.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy motor and gears from them and do it yourself.... just for future reference chase.
Yeah I knew you could order the stuff and DIY. But his last comment is what I was thinking. Lol. Looks like a tough job, I’d rather pay them to do it haha.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys I’ve wanted to tear into but since it’s not mine I don’t want to break something. It still takes some effort to push it in and out.

Gruven is who makes the upgraded parts and they work great.

Install really isn't that hard and the directions on their site are pretty good. I did both of mine after one of them stopped folding. Same problem as yours... hit the button and listen to the motor spin while nothing happens.

It took me maybe 2 hours to do both.

I suggest buying the gears that are already attached/epoxied to new shafts so that you don't have to disassemble your mirrors and wait 24 hours for the epoxy to cure.

http://www.gruvenparts.com/gruvenpa...-2007-2014-gm-trucks-folding-mirror-assembly/

jatkinson8755

Reaction score
does anyone know if a vin decoder would tell you if the truck originally came with power fold mirrors ? im wondering if mine didnt but previous owner swapped them in ...

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
does anyone know if a vin decoder would tell you if the truck originally came with power fold mirrors ? im wondering if mine didnt but previous owner swapped them in ...

RPO codes in the glove box will tell you.

If it came with power folding mirrors it should have code DL3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345