Possible to force sounds from phone to NOT come out of the car speakers when CarPlay is enabled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With CarPlay enabled, every sound comes through the car speakers. Is there a way to stop that? If I'm stuck in traffic or something and just sitting there, I'd prefer that every little sound not come from the car speakers if I'm scrolling through Instagram or something while also trying to listening to music. It auto-switches over to CarPlay (from Sirius) and then I have to switch it back to get back to the music. I can't find a setting but thought I'd ask.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if your phone is on vibrate/silent they won’t ding through speakers, not positive tho

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should be a notification setting in either your phone or in carplay or both. I use android and am able to turn all those notifications off, I only leave text enabled.
if I am listening to whatever and open Instagram it will stop whatever is playing because Instagram has sound/music, but if I just hit the screen and mute it then it goes back to whatever I was listening to before, it only does that once per key cycle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should be a notification setting in either your phone or in carplay or both. I use android and am able to turn all those notifications off, I only leave text enabled.
if I am listening to whatever and open Instagram it will stop whatever is playing because Instagram has sound/music, but if I just hit the screen and mute it then it goes back to whatever I was listening to before, it only does that once per key cycle.
Hmm. I may just be missing them, but I don't see them. My CarPlay options are limited to what apps I want to show on the screen in the vehicle with it enabled. I've checked the settings in vehicle and didn't appear to be any either. My issue usually is most annoying when I'm listening to Sirius through the build in app on the vehicle. If that's playing and then a video is played on my phone, it will switch over to CarPlay for the audio but then when the sound stop, the vehicle won't switch back over to Sirius on it's own. It just stays on CarPlay with nothing playing. I have to manually tap to switch it back to Sirius. You're correct, if I'm listening to something on CarPlay and then a video plays on my phone, it will switch back automatically to whatever was playing previously from CarPlay

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you switch to silent/vibe shouldnt sound off. Dont have any issue on mine.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect your phone from car while scrolling instagram or other stuff while sitting in traffic? Can notification sounds be put on vibrate mode in your phone? As well as media volume?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, with all due respect, you aren’t legally allowed to “scroll through instagram” holding your phone in your hand in most states…

48 of 50 prohibit texting while driving.
24 of 50 require hands free use.
Montana and MO allow it.

But, switching the silent switch kills the sounds for sure. I run my phone that way 98% of the time…never get notification sounds from my iPhone in the vehicle.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bluetooth in-ears. I have had mine hooked up to carplay and had sounds come through my bluetooth earbuds.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bluetooth in-ears. I have had mine hooked up to carplay and had sounds come through my bluetooth earbuds.
While driving? That is pretty unsafe as you cant hear emergency vehicle sirens. It is illegal in some srates to wear them while driving, and you can get pulled over if they see you wearing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts