Poor G M Customer Relations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own a 2015 Tahoe LT that I purchased new. It has 62,500 miles now and had failure in the deactivating cylinder system. 2 collapsed lifters and 1 bent pushrod. At the dealership where purchased, upon tear down the technician discovered a leaking radiator. All service has been done at dealership on time or earlier. I have an aftermarket warranty that is not very good, they want to use offshore parts, I wanted OEM parts. Total cost 4581.37, my cost 2052.24. I’ve been in contact with GM customer service numerous times by phone with return calls promised, and did not receive one until I sent a registered letter to Mary Barra. A call was then returned by a customer service representative named Marvin who stated they had done all they’re willing to do. He was very rude, I had to ask him to stop talking so I could speak. I stated that the car was 2500 miles past drivetrain warranty with a problem that is WELL KNOWN by corporate, and that as a show of good faith towards a loyal Chevrolet customer (8 new vehicles and 16 used) they should cover this. Marvin stated that this was case closed. I think that this really says everything about how GM treats customer loyalty (there is none) and feels about customer care (there is none). I feel that I have bought my last new G M Vehicle.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch, I had a similar experience with my dads 2016 Silverado 5.3. I took the truck up to NJ on a business trip. Same thing happened . check engine light , stumbling collapsed lifters and 2 bent pushrods. at the time the truck had 38,000 miles . and of course being this was last year out of warranty. I got lucky I guess the dealership that I went to which didn't sell me the truck had talked to GM for me and ended up getting the OE parts free from GM and getting prorated from GM half of the labor costs. I think out the door I paid like 6 and some change. and being that I was on business they supplied a rental free of charge. Obviously that was all the dealerships doing but it was amazing that they went that far.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m afraid it doesn’t matter which manufacturer you buy vehicles from. Once they’re out of warranty they’re not much help. It doesn’t matter if it’s 2500 miles or 10000. Maybe if it’s more like a few hundred but there’s a reason the warranty’s end when they do. They know approximately what mileage the majority of the expenses start and they want no part of fixing it for free. And read the fine print on third party warranty’s. They’re in business to make money, not replace parts with OEM unless you pay more for a policy that does. GM is no better or worse than the rest of them.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 16 was a few miles past the ac condenser extended mileage and GM did reimburse me 1/2 the cost of the repair. I had to ask the BBB to get involved. Once you get the BBB in the mix, GM seems to play nice.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a 2015 Tahoe LT that I purchased new. It has 62,500 miles now and had failure in the deactivating cylinder system. 2 collapsed lifters and 1 bent pushrod. At the dealership where purchased, upon tear down the technician discovered a leaking radiator. All service has been done at dealership on time or earlier. I have an aftermarket warranty that is not very good, they want to use offshore parts, I wanted OEM parts. Total cost 4581.37, my cost 2052.24. I’ve been in contact with GM customer service numerous times by phone with return calls promised, and did not receive one until I sent a registered letter to Mary Barra. A call was then returned by a customer service representative named Marvin who stated they had done all they’re willing to do. He was very rude, I had to ask him to stop talking so I could speak. I stated that the car was 2500 miles past drivetrain warranty with a problem that is WELL KNOWN by corporate, and that as a show of good faith towards a loyal Chevrolet customer (8 new vehicles and 16 used) they should cover this. Marvin stated that this was case closed. I think that this really says everything about how GM treats customer loyalty (there is none) and feels about customer care (there is none). I feel that I have bought my last new G M Vehicle.
So here is what you will have to do, since the 3rd party warranty company will only cover used or repop parts which is probably outlined in the fine print and they have a internal list of said parts and the max they are willing to pay for each of those parts, you will have to pay the remainder of that cost to get the oem parts you want. for instance if there list shows $75 is the max they will pay for a coolant tank and the oem one cost $94 then you will have to pay the difference of of $18.00 that is just how it goes. the same goes for labor, etc, but usually the dealer will work with them on the labor rate if they want the job.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact of the matter, when you bought the vehicle, it was very clear what the warranty period was and that was agreed to when you signed the purchase agreement.

To come back and expect them to extend that for some reason is a little selfish, if you ask my opinion. I get that the issue is a known issue and all that, but the warranty terms were agreed to when the sales agreement was signed. We fully expect GM and the dealer to hold up their end of that agreement, so why would we be surprised when GM asks us to hold up our end of that agreement?

The customer service guy was probably rude due to the fact that he has to deal with a customer that sent a certified letter to the CEO and the last thing he wants to due is get that pile of crap pushed down hill onto his lap. He was probably told to make it go away and don’t have it cost GM a dime.

In my business, we have a warranty period on our equipment and if something goes wrong past that, the customer is asked to foot the bill. We wouldn’t be in business very long if we continuously extended our warranty allowance last what we sold. For every customer that has a legitimate and plausible reason we should, we have 5 that just want free crap.

I’m sorry, but GM upheld their end of the agreement. Now it’s your turn to own your end of it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact of the matter, when you bought the vehicle, it was very clear what the warranty period was and that was agreed to when you signed the purchase agreement.

To come back and expect them to extend that for some reason is a little selfish, if you ask my opinion. I get that the issue is a known issue and all that, but the warranty terms were agreed to when the sales agreement was signed. We fully expect GM and the dealer to hold up their end of that agreement, so why would we be surprised when GM asks us to hold up our end of that agreement?

The customer service guy was probably rude due to the fact that he has to deal with a customer that sent a certified letter to the CEO and the last thing he wants to due is get that pile of crap pushed down hill onto his lap. He was probably told to make it go away and don’t have it cost GM a dime.

In my business, we have a warranty period on our equipment and if something goes wrong past that, the customer is asked to foot the bill. We wouldn’t be in business very long if we continuously extended our warranty allowance last what we sold. For every customer that has a legitimate and plausible reason we should, we have 5 that just want free crap.

I’m sorry, but GM upheld their end of the agreement. Now it’s your turn to own your end of it.
Well said.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since this thread is just to bash GM it is locked. The OP already has a thread in the Engine and Drivetain section about the same issue. If bashing goes on over there that will be locked as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz