Plug wire heat shields?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a warped exhaust manifold, with a couple broken bolts.
Naturally, I'll be installing headers, as a decent upgrade.

I'll be doing plugs and wires at the same time, and likely just going with OEM Delco plugs + wires, as my Yukon is stock.

Just curious if I should add some heat shields to the plug wires, as I expect the headers will allow more radiant heat near them, being un-shielded themselves.

Thoughts?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
boot sleeves will be a definite requirement. someone makes ceramic boot sleeves but i dont remember who maybe Taylor or accel. Taylor also has some wires that have a higher heat resistance for headers might want to look into them.

OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
boot sleeves will be a definite requirement. someone makes ceramic boot sleeves but i dont remember who maybe Taylor or accel. Taylor also has some wires that have a higher heat resistance for headers might want to look into them.
Thanks. So I can get some sleeves like: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-350119red/overview/
or: https://smile.amazon.com/Bang4buck-...+boot+sleeve&qid=1552274260&s=gateway&sr=8-19

Looks like Accel doesn't make the ceramic boot wires for my truck:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...make/gmc/model/yukon/submodel/slt?prefilter=1

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I had to use Taylor racing wires, along with those heat socks. Stock wire plug boots were too long and kept burning on my headers.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive used the summit sleeves before they work well. i think they are meant to be used when your making the plug wires tho. they have a steel ring in them makes it impossible to get over either end of the wire. i just snipped the steel ring and pulled it through the fibers. you dont want to buy sleeves too big then your not helping matters. also if you dont buy from summit or an actual auto parts place pay attention to the description. when i was buying mine i almost went through amazon myself. then i noticed the set i was looking at on Amazon couldn't handle a blow dryer let alone being half an inch from headers.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried some of the cheaper sleeves but they still allowed the wires to burn even though the sleeves themselves were only discolored. The Taylor ones are working good.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what I be using Accel 9070C Extreme Ceramic 135 degree boot Plug Wires. And if you doing headers not sure how big you be going but length on wire may become an issue. Thats why I got 135 degree boot

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats what I be using Accel 9070C Extreme Ceramic 135 degree boot Plug Wires. And if you doing headers not sure how big you be going but length on wire may become an issue. Thats why I got 135 degree boot
My wires melt up a ways from the boots. I’ve nevet had the boots themselves melt.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wires melt up a ways from the boots. I’ve nevet had the boots themselves melt.

Thank for the info, how about putting sleeves on the whole wire? could secure them with metal zip ties as when wrapping headers. I also have ceramic coating on my headers,hoping won’t run in to this issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-010475-Titanium-Technology/dp/B00YJG5Q1O/ref=sr_1_20?crid=2B07FBOAOAQ7F&keywords=spark+plug+boot+protector&qid=1552326356&s=gateway&sprefix=spark+plug+boot+pr,aps,433&sr=8-20&th=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I suppose I could also wrap the headers, since they’re not ceramic coated. I’m trying to do this on a very tight budget.
Sounds like the high temp Taylor wires are the best plan, maybe combined with the socks. [emoji106]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts