Please help with my engine light codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely check the harnesses if there's a chance of a mouse or squirrel chewing anything. Other than that, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned given the circumstances. Loss of power/low power can easily make any of the ECUs on these things go haywire. If it drove fine, then those three systems are probably operating fine. Drive it easily for a few miles to get all the fluids, etc. warmed up then take it on the highway to reach a cruising speed. While holding the throttle pedal steady (not with cruise control), lightly touch the brake just enough to activate the brake lights then release. The tach should jump up a few hundred RPM for a few seconds then go back down. This will test the operation of the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC). If this and all other functions seem fine, those were probably one-time fault codes due to the power loss and they will clear themselves over a few drive cycles. I wouldn't clear them so I could see them go away on their own.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
In addition to what's been posted: Disconnect your battery, stomp on the brakes, go get a drink of water and hook it back up

I've had some really weird shit happen when I've run a battery down. Dead is fine. But if it's borderline dead, a lot of the electrical bits seem to get fussy until they're properly reset.

Did you have these codes prior to the dead battery? Not saying this is a fix. More of a first pass before proceeding

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with these guys, if it sat for a period of time maybe some moisture in the harness caused a poor electrical connection, my sister in Oregon unfortunately had rats chew up all kinds of stuff on her Chrysler she drove it with an assortment of codes until the motor finally seized up, it wasn't worth the cost to try and fix all the stuff they had chewed up, freaking critters like to get inside where it's warm and then try to make a nest.

OP
OP
Danielgreig

Danielgreig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely check the harnesses if there's a chance of a mouse or squirrel chewing anything. Other than that, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned given the circumstances. Loss of power/low power can easily make any of the ECUs on these things go haywire. If it drove fine, then those three systems are probably operating fine. Drive it easily for a few miles to get all the fluids, etc. warmed up then take it on the highway to reach a cruising speed. While holding the throttle pedal steady (not with cruise control), lightly touch the brake just enough to activate the brake lights then release. The tach should jump up a few hundred RPM for a few seconds then go back down. This will test the operation of the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC). If this and all other functions seem fine, those were probably one-time fault codes due to the power loss and they will clear themselves over a few drive cycles. I wouldn't clear them so I could see them go away on their own.

That’s really good advice. Thank you. It’s a bit rough being away from home now and worrying about it. I’ll dive into it as soon as I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Danielgreig

Danielgreig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition to what's been posted: Disconnect your battery, stomp on the brakes, go get a drink of water and hook it back up

I've had some really weird shit happen when I've run a battery down. Dead is fine. But if it's borderline dead, a lot of the electrical bits seem to get fussy until they're properly reset.

Did you have these codes prior to the dead battery? Not saying this is a fix. More of a first pass before proceeding

Also a great idea. I’m liking all the fairly easy things to check first.

OP
OP
Danielgreig

Danielgreig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with these guys, if it sat for a period of time maybe some moisture in the harness caused a poor electrical connection, my sister in Oregon unfortunately had rats chew up all kinds of stuff on her Chrysler she drove it with an assortment of codes until the motor finally seized up, it wasn't worth the cost to try and fix all the stuff they had chewed up, freaking critters like to get inside where it's warm and then try to make a nest.

I do live in Eugene Oregon and this area has had a bad rat problem recently. I sure hope this isn’t the issue. Chasing down an electrical problem like this sounds like a nightmare.

OP
OP
Danielgreig

Danielgreig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, to answer the question above, no the codes were not there until after the battery died and I had to get it jumpstarted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz