Please help me identify this sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ricardortorres355

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s located on top of flywheel in the back of the engine next to the oil dipstick tube base. It’s. A 3 wire connector that’s bolted to the top of where the flywheel is located.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Camshaft position sensor.

The crankshaft position sensor is on the side near the starter.

Although there's no oil dipstick tube up there, so that doesn't make sense to me...

But "cam" and "crank" as in CPS is easy mix up TBH...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Camshaft position sensor.

The crankshaft position sensor is on the side near the starter.

Although there's no oil dipstick tube up there, so that doesn't make sense to me...

But "cam" and "crank" as in CPS is easy mix up TBH...
When I look at pics of the cam sensor, the part and mount look almost exactly the same. For my 2005 5.3.

The crank sensor is closer to the oil dipstick than the cam sensor. The cam sensor is buried compared to the crank sensor behind the starter. Plus, if do the crank sensor, will need to do a crank variation relearn.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I look at pics of the cam sensor, the part and mount look almost exactly the same. For my 2005 5.3.

The crank sensor is closer to the oil dipstick than the cam sensor. The cam sensor is buried compared to the crank sensor behind the starter. Plus, if do the crank sensor, will need to do a crank variation relearn.
Gotcha. Agree.

I was looking at OP's photo. There's the plastic intake and the little factory foam piece between the intake and valley cover.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Gotcha. Agree.

I was looking at OP's photo. There's the plastic intake and the little factory foam piece between the intake and valley cover.
Gotta agree with that statement. The oil dipstick info clouds the search. Both have a little metal ear for a holddown bolt. The crank sensor is easier to get to but gotta have a scanner capable of the relearn. The cam sensor is harder to get to but does not need a relearn. But you get to replace the intake seals though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667