Planning my System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14kvision

Reaction score
So after telling myself I wasn’t going to put a system in my new ’11 Hoe… I decided I am! I haven’t installed a system since back in high school and I’m a bit rusty in the self-install department so I need some help!

I would like to install either (2) 12’s or (2) 15’s… still trying to decide. I’ve always liked Alpine and JL so I think I’ll probably stick with those brands. (Unless someone has other recommendations?)

Questions:

1) What type of AMP and how many watts do you think I should run with either (2) 12’s or 15’s?
2) Will I need a capacitor?
3) What gauge wire should I run?

I have the basic stock head unit (the one without a big screen or navigation).

4) What are my options if I use the stock head unit? I’ll need an in-line converter… right? Are there any aftermarket head units that work with on-star, XM, navigation, etc that I can get?
5) How is my current audio setup? Do I have an amp somewhere already? (I didn’t upgrade to premium audio or anything… it’s the basic LS package with the addition of the convenience package.)

Thanks for your help!

groundscr8pr

flaccid member
Reaction score
use this with stock deck http://metraonline.com/part/AX-ADCT2
use this for an aftermarket deck http://metraonline.com/part/GMOS-100 this part will retain all your factory options( steering wheel,xm,res,back up cam,on star)
as far as wire goes. just run 4 guage or bigger. wont hurt to have wire to big. as far as brand goes both listed are great. i prefer jl. w3s are a badass sub for the money. new xd amps are great too! also dont waste money on a cap.. there useless!!

sick1166

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that depends on what your looking for you just mention subs ? for not much more money you could go with the best amps and subs you can get are sundown ive tried them all with great success on both alpine and jl audio good products but sundown is amazing when people hear what i have with just 2 12s they cant believe it most people running bigger amps and they just cant compare to my system I had 4-12 that was just a way too much so I put 2 in my kids car and 2 is more than enogh for me I also got the same as you a stock ls radio with an audio control lci loc with 4 gauge and im pushing 1200 true watts no need with this amp for battery or different alternator low current draw all stock with 70,000 miles on it

bolo1g2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the big 3! And go big, couple thousand watts for 2x12 or 2x15!

OP
OP

14kvision

Reaction score
If I run a 1200 watt amp for (2) 15's will I need to upgrade any of my existing wiring (ie: do the big 3 upgrade) or need an alternator? Do you think I should get more than 1200 watts for (2) 15's? What is the MOST watts I could run without upgrading any wiring or adding additional batteries or caps?

What is the BEST amp I can get? What is the BEST woofer I can get?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

bolo1g2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All extremely subjective questions. Take a look at Sundown, JL, Hertz, Audison, they all make good stuff. Mcintosh if you've got money like Scrooge McDuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnybalo

Latest posts