Pitman Arm Removal (again)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crabbman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After three months of banging,neighbors do not like me anymore,Bar-b-que for all very soon if i can ever get this Pitman arm off. I am replacing the entire front end of daughters front end,2002 GMC YUKON XLT
Have used a $15.00 bg spray can of penetrating oil, map pro gas, banging forever and there it sits not moving. I do have a Pitman arm pickle-fork wedged in very tight as well. Banging as well.
i probably have five hours of banging with really sore body. so this poor boy needs some understanding and guidance as how do i continue.
Also have used a Piman arm puller but got no movement. going to oreillys tomorrow to see if they have a larger screw on top of puller.
will wait for help.
HELP

OP
OP
crabbman

crabbman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not used dead blow hammer,rubber or bal pein, and should I. is this tool really good on pitman arm?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have access to a small cutoff wheel of some kind and steady hands cut through the safest easiest part of the pitman arm to get to. cut in as far as you can without hitting the steering box and as little of the shaft as you can. then take a chisel and hammer it into your cut until you feel the pitman arm pop. then it should either fall off or your puller will get it off easily at that point. a small torch may also give you enough heat to get it off just try to keep the flame off the steering box so you dont melt the seals.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use a small camping stove tank and a torch end with great success on several projects.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
If you cant get it off with a puller,im assuming your going to get it aligned after all this anyway.Let the shop replace it for you when your taking it their for the alignment cant be much you have the part and sounds like it will take a burden off you-good job trying though.

OP
OP
crabbman

crabbman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. i was banging with ball pein for awhile. sprayed my BG penetrating oil. still it sits there.
I took my cutoff grinder and have exposed the threads. still no popping of pitman arm. took my puller and tried to pull it off.
Still it sits there stuck to the stearing box.Do i go back to beating with hot torch again. Reall do not want to disconnect,do not know even how, the stearing box and take it to some shop i have no idea where it could be and have them dynamite it off?

OP
OP
crabbman

crabbman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after a taco and ice tea i went back with the puller attached and my Bernzamatic, map gas, and with not too much time heating the arm i started turning and turning and turning and then the turning got real loose,i looked up and the arm was separated from steering box.
Thank you all for the support. i really needed it. really feel high right now,naturally.
the entire front end of my daughters 2002 gmc yukon xlt will be drivable after three months in garage.Honda Dealer in Glenwood Springs does alighnment for $104.00.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st