Pirelli AS plus 3 vs Michelin Defenders LTX M/S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bridgestones that come on this truck are absolutely terrible. My wifes Mercedes came with the Pirellis and we were unimpressed and tread wear was terrible. The Michelin Defenders are fantastic in all categories. We love them and have them on 2 trucks now. Our fouth set on three trucks. The wear rating is awesome also. BUT if I had an Escalade V the look of the tire matters also. The Defenders are truck like looking tires. The Pirellis will look better may handle better, which has to be a concern for you. Unfortunalty the Defenders are not as good looking for that truck, but are a softer better ride, which gives up some handling. As they say " better to look good than to feel good"!! LOL Thats a performance truck so a bit different. Otherwise Defenders all day long!

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bridgestones that come on this truck are absolutely terrible. My wifes Mercedes came with the Pirellis and we were unimpressed and tread wear was terrible. The Michelin Defenders are fantastic in all categories. We love them and have them on 2 trucks now. Our fouth set on three trucks. The wear rating is awesome also. BUT if I had an Escalade V the look of the tire matters also. The Defenders are truck like looking tires. The Pirellis will look better may handle better, which has to be a concern for you. Unfortunalty the Defenders are not as good looking for that truck, but are a softer better ride, which gives up some handling. As they say " better to look good than to feel good"!! LOL Thats a performance truck so a bit different. Otherwise Defenders all day long!
That’s what I’ve said on many forums, including this one. Defenders and LTX’s are hard rubber, PUtruck, RV delivery, rugged commercial tires. They perform magnificently, but I would not put them on an Escalade V. Wrong look and wrong composition for that type of vehicle.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pair a set of Hellwig sway bars with the Michelin defenders, and you will see a significant handling improvement.

OP
OP
D

Delta33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input. Right now I love the Pirelli. They are much much better then the Bridgestone. I still don’t understand how those are stock on a V. Let alone any large suv. They hydroplane like crazy. I did go into this knowing I want get that many miles out of them. So I’m prepared for it. Maybe when these are out I’ll try the Michelins.

shekmark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never buy tires based on mileage expectations. I drive about 6 miles a day to work/gym and home and a road trip two or three times a year of say 400 miles each. Maybe 8K miles a year. I will get tired of the look way before I would ever wear out a tire. For me it is about handling ( especially wet) and looks. I know that Defender is awesome and have driven a Silverado on them, but I will not likely ever buy them for my Tahoe. I think the Pirelli was a great choice for the V.

OP
OP
D

Delta33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I never buy tires based on mileage expectations. I drive about 6 miles a day to work/gym and home and a road trip two or three times a year of say 400 miles each. Maybe 8K miles a year. I will get tired of the look way before I would ever wear out a tire. For me it is about handling ( especially wet) and looks. I know that Defender is awesome and have driven a Silverado on them, but I will not likely ever buy them for my Tahoe. I think the Pirelli was a great choice for the V.
Totally agree. They are amazing so far. The handling is great. I feel like I have control of my truck again. So sad about the Bridgestones

rbromm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The one thing missing from this discussion that is highly relevant, is the wheel size. If you have larger wheels than stock or even the larger 22" wheels offered by GM, it will make a huge difference in balance and ride. Mine are 22" 285/45-22 GM wheels and the LTX tires are great, but betting the ride would be much better on the 20" wheels. I personally hate the large wheels with skinny sidewalls but mine came with them.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one thing missing from this discussion that is highly relevant, is the wheel size. If you have larger wheels than stock or even the larger 22" wheels offered by GM, it will make a huge difference in balance and ride. Mine are 22" 285/45-22 GM wheels and the LTX tires are great, but betting the ride would be much better on the 20" wheels. I personally hate the large wheels with skinny sidewalls but mine came with them.
I've got 305/50x20, and I agree with your thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmily8474

Latest posts