Pirelli AS plus 3 vs Michelin Defenders LTX M/S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can speak to having Michelin LTX, including Defenders since 2003 on more than one Tahoe. I really regretted when I was talked into something other than Michelins and always went back. Pricey, yes, but quiet, long lasting, comfy and great in the snow without reverting to 4wd. And if you watch the timing, there will be rebates available for the Michelins.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up with the Pirelli. As others have said the Michelin is a great tire. These are the two top tires for this truck. Spoke to snitched tire shop and they both said the Pirelli will be a little better with handling. Both will be very smooth a quite. Maybe when these wear out I’ll try the Michelin
Sweet ride! But we’ll see you in about 25k miles. That’s all I got out of a set of Pirelli Scorpions on my Land Rover. Swapped them for Michelin LTX this summer. Took it in for alignment to be sure and it was spot on.

rzabel

Reaction score
I have the Michelin LTX and absolutely love them! So much quieter than the last AT tires I had. They handle and tow great. I wish they had the 3 peak/snowflake designation though. Does anyone know of a comparable E rated tire that has that?

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Michelin LTX and absolutely love them! So much quieter than the last AT tires I had. They handle and tow great. I wish they had the 3 peak/snowflake designation though. Does anyone know of a comparable E rated tire that has that?
Michelin Agilis CrossClimate.

Reaction score
There's Michelin Defender LTX M/S and Michelin LTX M/S2

Not sure what the differences are between the two

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vote here for the LTX Michelin's. Quiet and great performance dry and wet. Tread life is decent.

SSpinball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently got an Escalade V. It came with the standard Bridgestones.

Looking to replace it with either Pirelli scorpion AS Plus 3 or The Michelin defenders.

I care about a soft comfortable ride and having it quite. Of course performance I care about to. Not really dealing with snow

My tire guy seems like the Pirelli better then the Michelin. Looking for opinions ?
Defender is the golden standard, I put them on every vehicle, and never worry about thread wear, traction, punctions, they are the tank of tires.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pirelli tires are trash. There is no better tire than the Defender LTX, period. The closest tire to the Defender LTX is the Continental Terrain Contact H/T, it rides great and is quiet but the Defenders have less sidewall roll and therefore handle much better. I tried the Contis when they first came out and were $75 cheaper a tire and went right back to the Defender (so I also cannot comment on the treadwear since I only put 500 miles on them).

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pirelli tires are trash. There is no better tire than the Defender LTX, period. The closest tire to the Defender LTX is the Continental Terrain Contact H/T, it rides great and is quiet but the Defenders have less sidewall roll and therefore handle much better. I tried the Contis when they first came out and were $75 cheaper a tire and went right back to the Defender (so I also cannot comment on the treadwear since I only put 500 miles on them).

Good to know.

rbromm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently got an Escalade V. It came with the standard Bridgestones.

Looking to replace it with either Pirelli scorpion AS Plus 3 or The Michelin defenders.

I care about a soft comfortable ride and having it quite. Of course performance I care about to. Not really dealing with snow

My tire guy seems like the Pirelli better then the Michelin. Looking for opinions ?
I am on my second set of Defenders. I have the 22” GMC wheels and they are smooth, quiet, and stay in balance. I got 65,000 miles out of the first set. I took the original Bridgestone tires off at 2,000 miles because they couldn’t be balanced. The Defenders solved the balance problem and made the ride much better. I am not a fan of the 22” wheels and would have preferred 20” wheels for ride quality but could not get dealer to swap when new. Happy now as long as I am running the Defenders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076