Pioneer vs Kenwood vs Other...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neumanngroup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

First time post. Awesome forum!

I just purchased a 2007 Yukon Denali and I am very eager to replace the head unit with something that has more to offer. I have done some research already and found two devices that I think will work. The Pioneer X940BT and the Kenwood DNX6190HD.

I already have the OEM nav unit with Bose but no rear dvd entertainment system. Perhaps in the future I will add a rear DVD/monitor or headrest monitors so a head unit that can supply video and audio back to the potential overhead display or headrest monitors, would be nice. Separate zoned video and audio to those devices would also be nice. I prefer to not listen to my kids movies while driving, but sending the audio back to them if necessary would be cool.

Initially I wanted to do the lock pick from coastal tech. I was concerned that since I do not have a DVD already in my stock nav unit that the lock pick features would not be justified against the cost. Plus I would need to install an aftermarket bluetooth kit, so after you add it up, I am better off buying a new head unit and perhaps selling my OEM nav on eBay.

Back to the question at hand, which unit is better? I have read that the Kenwood uses Garmin and has great nav, but it is hard to find a detailed review of this unit since it is new. I have read plenty of good things about the Pioneer interface but I have heard that the nav is not that good. I had a chance to see the Pioneer at Best Buy (the X930BT which is not too different).

Also, I would really like to plug in my iPhone or use bluetooth streaming and these new apps for these units are very intriguing.

I would also like real-time traffic, which unit does but which is better?

I think I prefer an actual volume know but I could be swayed away from that with enough persuasion.

Am I missing another manufacturer here? Do I need to look at another brand?

Lots of questions...

Thank you sooooo much in advance!

maisano

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i was in the same boat but i went with the http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P3400BH/Pioneer-AVH-P3400BH.html?tp=20217#accessories-tab since i will be using the motion x as my gps i couldnt justify the cost of upgrading the unit with nav. i order the relay for this so i can us going down the road. i have the xl version so i will be running headrest dvd and a overhead with this unit. this also has the built in blue tooth and built in hd radio. i would go to pac's website to see what adapter you need.

i will have the radio in today and will install it maybe tonight depends on how the natives are at the house..

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go with a Pioneer Double Din and dont look back... time proven track record.. i have had 6 different Pioneer HUs and loved every one... currently have a Pioneer DD 4300dvd.. clean sleek only the buttons you need.. large high quality screen. has mike hook up for auto tune. plenty of inputs and outputs.. hands down recommend

AVH-P4300DVD_reg.jpg

adcmobile

Reaction score
You may want to look at the Advent OGM-1 - it's a factory look navi that comes with iGo Primo software, and it doesn't give up much at all to the other units you were looking at, while keeping all of the factory stuff (OnStar, Bose, XM, steering wheel and rear console controls) without adaptors - it's plug and play...

GM-300x185.jpg

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Pioneer 4400BH. I'm a Pioneer guy myself, so I wouldn't consider other brands...

OP
OP
N

neumanngroup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I forgot to mention. Will any of these units allow me to watch DVD in motion or do navigation changes in motion? Or see rear camera in motion?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With bypasses set they will.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Both are quality units. The Pioneer has a lot of features in the UI but a not so great GPS system. The Kenwood has less UI features but more sound (especially the Excelon series) and GPS qualities.
I prefer the Pioneer because I don't need GPS. I currently have the Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD. Use to have the 4200 model also.

Also most of those like stock GPS systems tend to be garbage. I am not sure about the Advent though.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

And yes my 4300 is bypassed to allow moving DVD playback.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a bypass also... its a simple wiring of a relay that tricks the HU to think the E-Brake is set... and the pioneer has a ton on inputs and outputs..i have installed this HU in 5 friends cars bc they loved mine so much if that sais anything....

ckl5899

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a near new lockpic for sale if you go that route. Its the new model I think its the 550. LEt me know if thats the route you take.

Look at the Alpine 910 that came out a few months ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660