Pinion Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The noise the pinion gear makes when it goes out sounds like a cash register. Just in case you ever hear it.

On the positive side, the Yukon now seems quite quiet.
I would imagine it could sound slightly different for everyone, mine did not sound anything like a cash register in any shape or form, it sounded like grinding when not accelerating, accelerate quiet, let off the gas grind. quiet grind quiet grind. from the rear end.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every one Ive ever heard made a distinct sound that sounded like someone yelling "Get your wallet out!".

I remember this Mustang 5.0 come into the tranny shop that I was working at and the guy was saying how the transmission was making a horrible noise and the car would barely move. I went out and put it in gear and rolled forward and immediately knew it was his pinion gear that was stripped. After taking it apart I found 90% of the gear teeth laying in the bottom of his differential. He asked what caused that. I said "You driving it like it was a race at every green light". :p He got charged extra for the metal fragments cleanup. I call it "Stupid tax". ;)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every one Ive ever heard made a distinct sound that sounded like someone yelling "Get your wallet out!".

I remember this Mustang 5.0 come into the tranny shop that I was working at and the guy was saying how the transmission was making a horrible noise and the car would barely move. I went out and put it in gear and rolled forward and immediately knew it was his pinion gear that was stripped. After taking it apart I found 90% of the gear teeth laying in the bottom of his differential. He asked what caused that. I said "You driving it like it was a race at every green light". :p He got charged extra for the metal fragments cleanup. I call it "Stupid tax". ;)
sounds about right when I toasted mine I had been driving like I was being chased by the cops from a m-urder scene 24/7 in a nutshell anyway. broke some transmissions like that as well, the 4l60 in particular doesn't like WOT much

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds about right when I toasted mine I had been driving like I was being chased by the cops from a m-urder scene 24/7 in a nutshell anyway. broke some transmissions like that as well, the 4l60 in particular doesn't like WOT much
That 700R4 didnt like ANYTHING but to walk the front seal right out so the pump could dump all the tranny fluid right on the road! Nothing held up real well on those...even while behind a 2.8L V6!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo