Phone connection in 2016 Tahoe/Software Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MainahBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having an issue that just recently appeared. When I have my iPhone 12 pro connected to Bluetooth in my 2016 Tahoe and try to call a number (using the name=example "Call Bob at home"), the response is "sorry, what type of destination, address, intersection or place of interest". However if I say "Call 207-555-1212", she understands what I want and places the call.

I was at the dealer yesterday and they want to do an infotainment software upgrade ($159) but they are not sure that this will resolve it. My Tahoe is running software #84089010. My phone is using IOS 15.6.1 but this was happening before I just updated to this version.

Does anyone else have a similar situation? Any recommendations as to a fix?

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 does this so instead I use apple CarPlay. Idk what my software revision is but doubt there is a update except for the maps which, I found a bootleg copy but haven’t had a chance to try it

Good luck, hope someone can help you out

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 Escalade with the 2022 map software doesn’t do that. On my 2008 Escalade it did use to update other things as well. I would call GMnavdisc.com and ask if the update also updates the radio.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am having an issue that just recently appeared. When I have my iPhone 12 pro connected to Bluetooth in my 2016 Tahoe and try to call a number (using the name=example "Call Bob at home"), the response is "sorry, what type of destination, address, intersection or place of interest". However if I say "Call 207-555-1212", she understands what I want and places the call.

I was at the dealer yesterday and they want to do an infotainment software upgrade ($159) but they are not sure that this will resolve it. My Tahoe is running software #84089010. My phone is using IOS 15.6.1 but this was happening before I just updated to this version.

Does anyone else have a similar situation? Any recommendations as to a fix?
So,
Try the same call with your Bluetooth off. You may be using the onboard phone and not your iPhone. To use the iPhone via Bluetooth, I long press the talk button which tiggers iPhone usage.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So,
Try the same call with your Bluetooth off. You may be using the onboard phone and not your iPhone. To use the iPhone via Bluetooth, I long press the talk button which tiggers iPhone usage.
He is using the onboard phone, which is connected to his phone via bluetooth. He is not using android auto/carplay through the infotainment system though.

I believe my system in my 2019 would function the same way. It may not recognize contact names in my phone's contacts list UNLESS it is plugged in and Android Auto (I use a Samsung Phone) is up and running.

From what I'm hearing the original poster describe sounds entirely normal. The CAR is talking to him, not Siri in his iPhone.

EDIT - I'll test later in my Yukon using bluetooth ONLY and not being connected via cable to Android Auto.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is using the onboard phone, which is connected to his phone via bluetooth. He is not using android auto/carplay through the infotainment system though.

I believe my system in my 2019 would function the same way. It may not recognize contact names in my phone's contacts list UNLESS it is plugged in and Android Auto (I use a Samsung Phone) is up and running.

From what I'm hearing the original poster describe sounds entirely normal. The CAR is talking to him, not Siri in his iPhone.

EDIT - I'll test later in my Yukon using bluetooth ONLY and not being connected via cable to Android Auto.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll wait to hear back once he tests without Bluetooth connectivity. The method/time pressing of the talk button is the issue.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, when pressing the steering wheel control and saying "Call Cindy" it worked flawlessly via Bluetooth. In fact, the contact I wanted to call isn't saved as Cindy but rather Cynthia. The car read back "Calling Cynthia, mobile" and dialed. I never use this feature however! But yes it does work in my 2019.

jerryksr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m a little late to the party…but,
I believe the issue may be when saying “…at Home”
When I press the steering wheel button and command “Call Jerry Jr” it asks “which number, office or mobile?”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick