Phantom DIC messages: "Service Tire Monitor" and "Service 4wd"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the last year or so I have been getting intermittent "Service Tire Monitor" messages on my Drivers Information Center (DIC.) This ONLY happens on long drives after running for several hours (IOW it never happens when I'm driving around town or to and from work.)

I had the tires put on my Discount Tire in 2016 and just recently took it back for a rotation. They said they would "service" the TPMS sensors, but on the next long drive, sure enough I got the "Service tire monitor" message. I should point out that my TPMS low pressure light is NOT on and all 5 tires have correct pressure.

Second problem: After getting the "Service 4wd" message on some previous 4wd trips, I pre-emptively had my encoder motor replaced. As near as I can tell it works fine and I have used it in all 4 modes (2wd, Auto 4wd, 4-hi and 4-lo) with no problems. Just recently, when I started the truck the "service 4wd" message came on again. I cycled through 4-hi, Auto 4wd and 2wd and it all seemed to work fine with no other error messages.

At this point I'm thinking these are just "phantom messages" popping up from time to time maybe because of a faulty or failing sensor. The components in question (the 4wd system and the TPMS system) all seem to be working fine, I think it must be the "warning system" that is going goofy on me.

Has anyone else had similar problems with DIC messages that don't seem to make sense?

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to get the service tire monitor message every time I started the truck. I finally took it to the dealer and they determined it was most likely that the batteries in the sensors were dying. They said a couple of the sensors were barely registering with their scanner tool. That made sense for a 14 year old vehicle so I had them replace them and relearn them. Now I rarely get the message and only on random long trips like you described.

My theory for getting the message randomly (without getting the tire pressure light or a ding) is that the receiver module for the TPMS sensors is having an issue. That receiver is located in the passenger door control switch and so is the receiver for the remote door locks. I've also had issues with the remote door locks lately. I believe it's all connected and I've heard that the receiver module for the TPMS is a pretty common problem.

I'm not sure about your service 4WD message but that's what I know about the service tire monitor message.

RichieB37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A lot of times, the service 4WD is one of two things. You replaced the motor, so that’s one. The other is the switch itself. There was a cold solder joint problem that created wonky problems. I’ve had one of each problem on my trucks. On one the encoder motor fixed it, and on the other it was the switch panel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belveman