Passlock system is ruining my day!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TeamBeard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 GMC Yukon Denali AWD/122000 miles. All stock.

So problem with Yukon:
-(Year ago or so..)Starter would turn over engine but engine wouldn't start. Only happened once in a while..
-Fast forward a few months an a half dozen times of waiting what turned out to be 10 minutes or more and doing research online I learn about GM's pass lock system, believe this has the pass lock 2.
-Don't have owners manual but have a .pdf from online somewhere for reference.

-The symbol on the dash with the car and a padlock will illuminate constantly, or sometimes blink, either way starter will turn over engine all day or til it burnt out if I held the key. Will wait approx. 10 minutes. This happened a dozen more times in the past year, then sometimes it would take 3 times waiting 10 minutes each. The passlock light would turn off after 10 minutes or so and I'd try again just to let it turn back on.

-Recently, through the past month or so, the battery has been dying. Weird though I'd drive it around all day, then leaving Target at night and the battery gauge on the dash reads about 9 or 10 volts and the car won't start, get it jumped but it doesn't start even after waiting a few minutes. I realize the passlock light is on, it goes off after 10 minutesish, but voltage is still low and won't start. Get someone to help me jump it and it works.

So in 20 minutes of being in the store after starting several times all day without issue it dies.

-Performed a draw test with my meter and found the radio and radio amp fuse were drawing too much so I've since pulled those fuses and have been riding around with no radio for a couple weeks. Batter is still dying.

-Performed a battery load test, was a little low but nothing to worry about, also hooked battery up to a charge on 2amp over night(18hrs). Tested with meter later the next day and it read well, about 13.6ish.

-Also, the DIC has displayed several times but only when batter wouldn't start car 'service system stability' and 'service brake system'. Once battery was jumped or charged the warnings never showed so I'm hoping/thinking these were triggered from nothing more than low voltage.

-Sorry for length, to recap:
-Passlock light comes on and it has left my wife and I stranded in parking lots with our young son for upwards of an hour while waiting out the light and getting a jump.
-Battery dying and triggered 2 warnings on the DIC, sometimes they accompany the passlock light other times they don't.

I really just want to hit the guy who designed the passlock system and the guy who decided not to put a recall or TSB out about this, at least I haven't seen anything.

I've read many other posts in the past but haven't seen these 2 things together. Maybe they are related maybe not.

Can someone help me from losing any more of my hair?

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
T

TeamBeard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you clandr1.

I've read through 2 of these in the past but the first and second I had not which seemed to describe to letter what I'm going through. Have already read through these and others for over an hour and will look into what they say. I will say that Thought I've checked the connections and grounds and everything else with the battery I have not replaced the cables.

Can't hurt to try at this point, I'd imagine they are original anyways. Thanks again.

Anyone else?

OP
OP
T

TeamBeard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yukon still not starting

Since I'm cheap I haven't replaced the battery cables yet. My thoughts are they should be fine but I have read that they can look great and still not work properly.

I've tried everything I can think of within reason. I've chosen not to replaced the ignition cylinder or the theft deterrent module or any of the stuff under the steering wheel.

Read plenty about this from other people over the past year to have them say the problem just resurfaces later.

I'm not going to sell the yukon like it is to some poor unsuspecting victim even if it did start for them for a test drive because that would suck for them. Fortunately my wife and I have 2 other working vehicles but in the mean time I have a $10k weight holding my driveway to the earth that I can't start.

Has anyone been successful in fixing their passlock nightmare?

Only other option I see is dishing out $250 to newrockies.com for their product. I've seen maybe 2 videos on youtube with people installing them and I'm hesitant but nearing desperation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz