Passenger windows and power seats not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigmikem007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 Suburban, the fuse for the passenger windows and power seats keeps blowing. I've changed out the front passenger door switch and it continues to blow the fuse. Please help!!!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
2004 Suburban, the fuse for the passenger windows and power seats keeps blowing. I've changed out the front passenger door switch and it continues to blow the fuse. Please help!!!
Check your harnesses under the seats. You may have rubbed through the insulation and it could be grounding out on something metal, which could cause the fuse to blow.

OP
OP
B

Bigmikem007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check your harnesses under the seats. You may have rubbed through the insulation and it could be grounding out on something metal, which could cause the fuse to blow.
I did remove the front seats and the wiring looked good. Thanks.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ve got either a hot or temporary hot wire grounding somewhere. It doesn’t take much to blow a fuse. Not that you would, but don’t replace it with a higher amp fuse thinking that will solve a problem. It’s a great was to start an electrical fire.

OP
OP
B

Bigmikem007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can you tell us which specific fuse is blowing? In which fuse block?
The fuse is in the fuse block under the hood. Its marked MBEC 1 50A. I can replace the fuse and it can last anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 months. I've tried all kinds of things to make it blow like use the power seats, use the power windows, use the heated seats in all types of combinations. Thanks for the help.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it blows, is it when you are trying to operate one of the functions or before? At least that can narrow it down between a hot and temporary hot wire. Since the fuse is for more than one function, you can eliminate that it’s a switch. Because of the time frame at which it blows, my money is on a wire that is grounding out. Electrical problems, especially intermittent ones are a ***** to diagnose. Good luck, I hope you figure it out soon

Edit: I take that back about the switches. It is possible that you do have a switch that is on its way out. I wonder if there is a way to isolate each of the functions to determine which one is the culprit.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That fuse feeds the mid bussed electrical center (MBEC); it's in the cab, on the firewall just above where your left foot gets planted. Pull up the carpet around there and check for chafed wiring.

You can also pull the connectors out one by one to see if you can determine which harness has the short, if it's after the MBEC. It could be between the underhood fusebox and the MBEC, though.

EDIT: see if this link works for you. Example of a confirmed fix for a similar issue: https://imgur.com/a/a4JyK

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigmikem007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When it blows, is it when you are trying to operate one of the functions or before? At least that can narrow it down between a hot and temporary hot wire. Since the fuse is for more than one function, you can eliminate that it’s a switch. Because of the time frame at which it blows, my money is on a wire that is grounding out. Electrical problems, especially intermittent ones are a ***** to diagnose. Good luck, I hope you figure it out soon

Edit: I take that back about the switches. It is possible that you do have a switch that is on its way out. I wonder if there is a way to isolate each of the functions to determine which one is the culprit.

Sometimes I'll put a new fuse and it will blow with in 5 minutes without operating any switches and other times it will go as long as 2 months without a problem. I've done a lot of cussing because of this issue. Thanks for you input!!

OP
OP
B

Bigmikem007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That fuse feeds the mid bussed electrical center (MBEC); it's in the cab, on the firewall just above where your left foot gets planted. Pull up the carpet around there and check for chafed wiring.

You can also pull the connectors out one by one to see if you can determine which harness has the short, if it's after the MBEC. It could be between the underhood fusebox and the MBEC, though.

EDIT: see if this link works for you. Example of a confirmed fix for a similar issue: https://imgur.com/a/a4JyK

I'm going to look into this when we get a break from the rain. Thanks for this, I'll let you know what I find!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne