'passenger door ajar' when it's not!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsb09000

Thread Killer
Reaction score
This is my first post so I hope I'm doing everything legit but right now I'm too frustrated to worry too much about it :p

I have a 2003 tahoe LT with pretty much everything except navigation and a sun roof. This morning around 4am the alarm went off. I shut it off and all was fine through the night. When I got to work this morning it went off two more times. On my way to lunch the "passenger door ajar" alarm went off and the locks started going haywire locking, unlocking, locking etc. I have of course open and shut every door and checked for any obstructions. Right now I have the battery unhooked hoping that it will somehow just magically reset itself. What little research I have done has yielded nothing. Has anyone else had this problem or is my truck just possessed??

Any help will be greatly appreciated and help me get some sleep!

Thanks!

:emotions122:

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it an aftermarket alarm or stock? I've never seen that happen unless it was an aftermarket.

OP
OP
tsb09000

tsb09000

Thread Killer
Reaction score
It's just the stock alarm that honks. So far it's been fine since disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Still, if anyone knows what caused it I'd love to know! It's a little unnerving when your driving along and your locks start going crazy!

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with PP, you might want to check the door switch if the battery disconnect doesn't work.

I didn't have this exact problem, but my latch switch went out and wouldn't shut the radio off when I opened the drivers door after shutting off the engine. You might consider checking this as well, as it might contain the sensor that signals the door ajar light. The latch and electronics are all enclosed in one assembly.

OP
OP
tsb09000

tsb09000

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Well, it's been 5 months and disconnecting the battery worked....until yesterday!! Once again, it was raining and I hit a puddle that sprayed the passenger side of the truck so I'm 99% sure that has something to do with it. Anyway, I've opened and closed all doors and have had the battery disconnected several times for different lengths of time and it's still acting crazy, which in turn, is driving me crazy!

I guess I'm asking how I would go about checking the latch switch or if anyone has any other info.

I think I'll just name my tahoe Christine! :shocked:

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been 5 months and disconnecting the battery worked....until yesterday!! Once again, it was raining and I hit a puddle that sprayed the passenger side of the truck so I'm 99% sure that has something to do with it. Anyway, I've opened and closed all doors and have had the battery disconnected several times for different lengths of time and it's still acting crazy, which in turn, is driving me crazy!

I guess I'm asking how I would go about checking the latch switch or if anyone has any other info.

I think I'll just name my tahoe Christine! :shocked:

That passenger switch is a little button that you can manipulate with your finger (little round part). The rest of it goes into the frame of your trk, maybe the connection is coming loose. I had a similar problem with an 89 Accord however the problem was due to a bent door or where it locks. Since it was an old car I fixed it ghetto style and just wedged a peice of twig between the actual lock and the frame. I know ur set-up is different from my accord but you can investigate that route also. GL

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i now have this same problem with my 04 after installing my DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n