Panoramic sunroof blew out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firstGT

Reaction score
Well I guess add me to the people who have sunroof issues. Driving home yesterday from Dallas to San Antonio on the interstate and heard a loud cracking noise. Didn't know what it was at the time, nothing obvious that we could see. Sounded like when a partially empty water bottle pops from a change in pressure. Couple minutes later it shattered and wind noise was pretty loud.

Called dealer I bought the Tahoe from and they told me tough break. He said it's designed to be tough and not break, duh, and that it probably got hot and got water on it. I laughed at him and said yeah in the middle of the drought we're in I drove through the only rain storm in the state. He just reiterated that it was my fault and they won't even bother submitting to GM for warranty claim.

I mean am I wrong in that they should at least try?

He said when I first spoke to him that he has never heard of this ever happening. Then when he called back after talking with mgmt he said they searched the GM database and this has never been recorded anywhere by anyone. I'm the first person ever. give me a break!!!

Should I try a different dealer? I have multiple others in the area. I have some calls in to independent shops but they're telling me at least two weeks if not longer to get the glass. I have not heard pricing from anyone as of it, dealer or independent

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess add me to the people who have sunroof issues. Driving home yesterday from Dallas to San Antonio on the interstate and heard a loud cracking noise. Didn't know what it was at the time, nothing obvious that we could see. Sounded like when a partially empty water bottle pops from a change in pressure. Couple minutes later it shattered and wind noise was pretty loud.

Called dealer I bought the Tahoe from and they told me tough break. He said it's designed to be tough and not break, duh, and that it probably got hot and got water on it. I laughed at him and said yeah in the middle of the drought we're in I drove through the only rain storm in the state. He just reiterated that it was my fault and they won't even bother submitting to GM for warranty claim.

I mean am I wrong in that they should at least try?

He said when I first spoke to him that he has never heard of this ever happening. Then when he called back after talking with mgmt he said they searched the GM database and this has never been recorded anywhere by anyone. I'm the first person ever. give me a break!!!

Should I try a different dealer? I have multiple others in the area. I have some calls in to independent shops but they're telling me at least two weeks if not longer to get the glass. I have not heard pricing from anyone as of it, dealer or independent
Try a different dealer but I believe it's an act of God and not a defect. What year?

Thinking about this, we had another guy on here have one blow out earlier this year or late last. Anyone remember the post?

OP
OP
F

firstGT

Reaction score
I saw at least two when searching last night.

I'll call the other closest dealer and see what they say.

Yesterday the guy also said a rock or whatever might've hit it. I mean I guess it's possible but doesn't seem likely. something kicked off the road with such force that it shattered my glass but it missed my grille, windshield and front half of the sunroof? seems like a one in a million chance

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did both the stationary and the moving panel shatter, or just one of them?
If both, probably more structural related than an object...unless the object happened to hit both panels at the same time....

FYI, worst case should be insurance...mine has full coverage (no deductible) on glass.

OP
OP
F

firstGT

Reaction score
Did both the stationary and the moving panel shatter, or just one of them?
If both, probably more structural related than an object...unless the object happened to hit both panels at the same time....

FYI, worst case should be insurance...mine has full coverage (no deductible) on glass.
Stationary panel only. Second dealer said no dice on warranty as well. On to insurance I guess. I don't like having any claims bc I like to shop rates annually but we'll see what happens. Car is only 14 months old so hopefully a repeat is avoided in future

OP
OP
F

firstGT

Reaction score
maybe but seems doubtful. light traffic on the road at the time and also the angle just doesn't make sense. to miss the grille, windshield and front panel all at same time yet hit the back panel with enough force to shatter? I mean anything is possible of course but this isn't exactly an unheard of situation.

either way it's on me to cover. if it happens again I'll be selling the car and moving to something without a sunroof. we didn't really want a sunroof but last year when we bought it, it was take it or leave it.

slupie

Reaction score
Not unheard of, shattering sunroofs happen to all brands. It could be caused by objects hitting the glass or just stress in the glass or thermal stress that causes it to shatter. I had a windshield crack due to thermal stress, it was cold and snowing, I had the defroster turned on max and all of the sudden the windshield started cracking from the bottom on passenger side while stopped at a traffic light.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem with glass is it’s pretty much impossible to prove if it’s a defect or accident or act of god. Insurance is the normal remedy.

OP
OP
F

firstGT

Reaction score
Dropped her off today to get repaired. Recall for parking sensors as well. Also gonna look at suspension as it just seems to ride rough

I actually went to sales Friday and inquired about getting in to a 2wd. Salesman insisted I try another z71 so we hopped in a used one and it rode significantly smoother so he recommended having service look at it since it's gonna be in the shop anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar