Paint touch ups and rust repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tungsten

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Yuk back in the garage. Weather is much nicer but the roads now are a mess. Gravel, salt, sand everywhere.

Local store had 24x24 mud flaps chunks. I cut one in half sandwiched it between the inner fender cover. Temporary have it on to see if I like it. Will have to make a big washer as the rubber isn’t that thick. Not the nicest but will stop all the crap on the roads View attachment 388194View attachment 388195
Just be careful backing up and it catching and getting pinched against the tire and ripping off.
Well at $8 a wheel not concerned,more so about other damage it would do.Maybe I dont want to secure them too well?

OP
OP
tungsten

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Haven’t been around in awhile. Ended up selling the Yukon and have purchased an 07 gmc crew cab diesel. A better work truck for me.
Being in Canada rust is always an issue and like most of these trucks the rear wheel wells rust out. Trying my hand again at rust repair.

Purchased replacement panels so metal work was much easier this time around. D2ECDE35-F450-432A-9321-FBDFD86B7244.jpegAfter some bondo and sanding.ABF03788-866E-409A-A2A7-CD501438EF9F.jpegI have a HVLP gun that I’ve used for cabinets,interior wood work ext. thought I’d use that this time around since the area is much bigger. Not having any experience with this has slowed me down a little. Spraying high build primer was a flop on first attempt. Came out like ceiling texture.58335119-F613-4D21-B098-CCB542276B0A.jpeggot that sanded off. Arg. Finally got it to spray by thinning it down a little. Even with a 2 mm tip still needed thinning. Anyway that’s where I’m at. Going to spray 2 coats on today and start block sanding.64581D04-36E7-4456-B857-8FD8853F02F7.jpegfairly easy to spray this high build. Don’t get much overspray. Last night’s test was easy to sand this morning. I think it’s all pretty flat but will find out once I start using a guide coat and block sanding.AC1C94BB-8BCE-4105-BC51-385EC2FCE71F.jpeg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Haven’t been around in awhile. Ended up selling the Yukon and have purchased an 07 gmc crew cab diesel. A better work truck for me.
Being in Canada rust is always an issue and like most of these trucks the rear wheel wells rust out. Trying my hand again at rust repair.

Purchased replacement panels so metal work was much easier this time around. View attachment 393235After some bondo and sanding.View attachment 393236I have a HVLP gun that I’ve used for cabinets,interior wood work ext. thought I’d use that this time around since the area is much bigger. Not having any experience with this has slowed me down a little. Spraying high build primer was a flop on first attempt. Came out like ceiling texture.View attachment 393237got that sanded off. Arg. Finally got it to spray by thinning it down a little. Even with a 2 mm tip still needed thinning. Anyway that’s where I’m at. Going to spray 2 coats on today and start block sanding.View attachment 393238fairly easy to spray this high build. Don’t get much overspray. Last night’s test was easy to sand this morning. I think it’s all pretty flat but will find out once I start using a guide coat and block sanding.View attachment 393239
HA! You'd just got that Yukon looking great! Methinks part of you must love the metal work and this gives you a new canvas for it. I was impressed with your work on the Yukon so I look forward to seeing how this one turns out. Thanks for sharing your work on these - I enjoy following along.

OP
OP
tungsten

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got two coats of primer on in my little booth. I think I spend more time cleaning the gun than anything. Rattle can primer is so easy and takes no time. I guess you don’t get the thickness so there’s something to sand down now. Starting with 220 and I’ll work my way up to 600 wet. Metallic colour so from what I’ve learned 6-800 wet before base coat. 6D87072D-025C-492E-95E2-9F17855B8F5D.jpeg24D8845C-6529-4C91-9E43-B2D5D016531E.jpeg