Paint touch ups and rust repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tungsten

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks amazing!
I have few tiny spots i plan to do as well that some body shop tried to quickly hack together and they don’t look good.

Do you have a comprehensive list of what you used so far by chance?
I.E what spray paint, sanding papers, what clear coat etc
Paint is from local places that put it into cans.The first place was terrible,second place is much better.I think my colour is a tough match not sure its my first time buying.

Ive just been going off the web for what grit to use.Dont buy cheap paper get the proper stuff.Look for an autobody supply place near you.

Clear is spray max 1k,get the 2k.Less wet sanding, more uniform.

Wet sanding is an art,Im getting better but having the proper rubber backing pads definitely helps. Ive been using 1" rubber hose and working small spots.Big flat areas like a hood or door is much easier.All my areas are not flat hence the hose.The palm of my hand kinda works but even pressure is tough to do.Squeegee or blow air across to dry and you can see where it needs more.Im using 1000 over the applied then 1500 and lastly 2000.Over the original CC im also using 1000 to spray new over.

Not a pro and I dont expect pro results.Looks better then rust though.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alberta,Canada.Forecast showing -10 to -20c for lows next week.:(
I thought it was bad up in Boston, then I went to Bouctouche NB Canada and it was twice as bad as it was in Boston.
You my friend are right in the mix of some serious winters. I give you a pass and I also give you a keg, forget about the cans or bottle. Damn, I'm getting cold just thinking about it

OP
OP
tungsten

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was bad up in Boston, then I went to Bouctouche NB Canada and it was twice as bad as it was in Boston.
You my friend are right in the mix of some serious winters. I give you a pass and I also give you a keg, forget about the cans or bottle. Damn, I'm getting cold just thinking about it
I use to work up north,-30c was a warm day.Diesel trucks just idled all night.Nothing was turned off and if it did was only for an hour.You push the clutch in at -40c it just stays on the floor lol.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use to work up north,-30c was a warm day.Diesel trucks just idled all night.Nothing was turned off and if it did was only for an hour.You push the clutch in at -40c it just stays on the floor lol.
Man, I can't even imagine that kinda cold brrrrrr

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alberta,Canada.Forecast showing -10 to -20c for lows next week.:(
Hogwash. I was just in Banff a few weeks ago and it was +20°C.

We got real lucky the week we were there. The year before and they’d already had almost a meter of snow.

I used to work on drilling rigs about 30 miles south of Estevan (Bowbells, ND) in the winter. We had a cold spell one year where we had a base temp of -40°C (-40°F) and wind chills down to -67°C (-90°F). When it finally warmed up to -12°C (+10°F) we were in our shirt sleeves it felt so warm.

OP
OP
tungsten

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hogwash. I was just in Banff a few weeks ago and it was +20°C.

We got real lucky the week we were there. The year before and they’d already had almost a meter of snow.

I used to work on drilling rigs about 30 miles south of Estevan (Bowbells, ND) in the winter. We had a cold spell one year where we had a base temp of -40°C (-40°F) and wind chills down to -67°C (-90°F). When it finally warmed up to -12°C (+10°F) we were in our shirt sleeves it felt so warm.
Yeah it was nice 2 weeks ago,one of the warmest Octobers that I can remember.Must have skipped fall and straight to winter.
Winter chinooks are common here so most likely the cold wont last.I hope.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Paint is from local places that put it into cans.The first place was terrible,second place is much better.I think my colour is a tough match not sure its my first time buying.

Ive just been going off the web for what grit to use.Dont buy cheap paper get the proper stuff.Look for an autobody supply place near you.

Clear is spray max 1k,get the 2k.Less wet sanding, more uniform.

Wet sanding is an art,Im getting better but having the proper rubber backing pads definitely helps. Ive been using 1" rubber hose and working small spots.Big flat areas like a hood or door is much easier.All my areas are not flat hence the hose.The palm of my hand kinda works but even pressure is tough to do.Squeegee or blow air across to dry and you can see where it needs more.Im using 1000 over the applied then 1500 and lastly 2000.Over the original CC im also using 1000 to spray new over.

Not a pro and I dont expect pro results.Looks better then rust though.
Never sand using your fingers to hold the sandpaper. If possible use a flat sanding block. Using fingers couldn put grooves in the bondo, and you might not see it until the base coat is on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo