P2723 CEL CODE what do i fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stang0303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone know exactly what needs to be fixed or replaced with this code? For a 2010 suburban with 6l80e.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know exactly what needs to be fixed or replaced with this code? For a 2010 suburban with 6l80e.

This refers to the Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid 5 being stuck in the off position. For diagnosis and repair, at minimum you need a Tech2.

Check the fluid level and then record freeze frame data with the Tech2. Clear the code and drive the truck in 5th gear at 45 mph twice with the throttle above 15%. If it comes back then you perform a line pressure check. After that you use the Tech2 to do TCM cleaning and performance test...

Anyhow, it's pretty thorough and uses multiple specialized tools. If the solenoid is bad the entire Control Valve Solenoid & TCM is replaced.

OP
OP
S

stang0303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This refers to the Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid 5 being stuck in the off position. For diagnosis and repair, at minimum you need a Tech2.

Check the fluid level and then record freeze frame data with the Tech2. Clear the code and drive the truck in 5th gear at 45 mph twice with the throttle above 15%. If it comes back then you perform a line pressure check. After that you use the Tech2 to do TCM cleaning and performance test...

Anyhow, it's pretty thorough and uses multiple specialized tools. If the solenoid is bad the entire Control Valve Solenoid & TCM is replaced.

Thanka for this yes i have a tech 2 win software and an mdi. When i do line test they all go to 109 which is thr max it reads in the tech 2. I heard about the cleaning procedure and relearn but can not find it in tech 2 or acdelcos sps. When i try to read module ID informstion from the TCM it fails to read it and the tech 2 tells me to check ignition on/off. I also just got a p0776 which i guess is solenoid 2 stuck. The fluid is full and clean red in color. No burnt smell. The truck seems to work fine in 4th thrrough 6th gear 1st and 2nd almost no existant 3rd and 4th slips in and out. Any help would be appreciated. I would rather replace tcm before having to have the whole thing rebuilt. Called trans shop and they said replacing tcm would cause a worn trans to blow up. Kinda confused here getting conflicting info lol. Thanks everyone. Whats my next step

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great that you have such diagnostic tools! Yes, the control valve is part of the TCM and from what I've read it is not replaceable, the whole thing has to be replaced. Let's say you do replace it, there's a relearn procedure that has to be run to keep the transmission from "blowing up". I'm not inclined to believe him.

I don't remember exactly where the testing and cleaning functions are accessed from, try the "Special Functions" and "Module Setup". Do you have a subscription to AllDataDIY or the shop manual? It will walk you through the test procedures which go hand in hand with the Tech2.

You have MDI with GDS2 software?

OP
OP
S

stang0303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's great that you have such diagnostic tools! Yes, the control valve is part of the TCM and from what I've read it is not replaceable, the whole thing has to be replaced. Let's say you do replace it, there's a relearn procedure that has to be run to keep the transmission from "blowing up". I'm not inclined to believe him.

I don't remember exactly where the testing and cleaning functions are accessed from, try the "Special Functions" and "Module Setup". Do you have a subscription to AllDataDIY or the shop manual? It will walk you through the test procedures which go hand in hand with the Tech2.

You have MDI with GDS2 software?

I've tried to accesss it from almost every menu option. still nothing. when i called ACDelco about it they said that all you can do is reprogram the tcm with sps and do a transmission adapt reset. maybe they went away with clean procedure and fast learn not sure. I know there is a guy on youtube doing it with a snap on too on his avalanche. The tool I have is a vxdiag vx nano works great though have been able to do a automated brake bleed. reprogrammed and update many modules. I do not have a subscription to AllDataDIY. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. At this point I'm thinking of just getting a rebuilt tehcm from Dorman. I can pick one up for $274 online. Better than the quoted $3000 to rebuild. I assume only thing i would need to do is replace it and then reprogram tcm, reset transmissions adapt and I should be good to go?

OP
OP
S

stang0303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh and I do not have GDS2 software. thats for 2014 and up vehicles correct?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point I'm thinking of just getting a rebuilt tehcm from Dorman. I can pick one up for $274 online. Better than the quoted $3000 to rebuild. I assume only thing i would need to do is replace it and then reprogram tcm, reset transmissions adapt and I should be good to go?

I think so, when you get AllDataDIY, read that section to be sure of the processes involved.

Oh and I do not have GDS2 software. thats for 2014 and up vehicles correct?

Yes, I believe it is also backwards compatible. So does your VX Nano act as a Tech2 emulator? I heard of it before but do not remember what it looked like or did.

OP
OP
S

stang0303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think so, when you get AllDataDIY, read that section to be sure of the processes involved.

Yes, I believe it is also backwards compatible. So does your VX Nano act as a Tech2 emulator? I heard of it before but do not remember what it looked like or did.

I believe so. Im not exactly sure. I think it acts as a MDI or an MDI 2. I can do everything with it a tech 2 can

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63