P0521 and P0523 error code during roadtrip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shimmyt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone my 2010 Tahoe popped up with these codes a day before I head back home a little less than 1k miles from Florida to Texas. As far as I can tell it’s the sensor or filter. No abnormal noise from the engine at all. Should I try to get it swapped before I head back? I do have to tow my lil camper trailer.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those codes are for a bad sensor or its wiring. If you have the tools with you to change it out do so but don't kill yourself. Of course it would be nice to have while driving home but you can get by without it.

OP
OP
S

shimmyt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Those codes are for a bad sensor or its wiring. If you have the tools with you to change it out do so but don't kill yourself. Of course it would be nice to have while driving home but you can get by without it.
Typically I’d try to do it but I just can’t get the connector off (after climbing into the engine bay and trying for like an hour). Could be due to me being sick too so brain is all foggy.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically I’d try to do it but I just can’t get the connector off (after climbing into the engine bay and trying for like an hour). Could be due to me being sick too so brain is all foggy.
It's a pain, while it takes longer, it's easier to pull the intake, change the sensor in 2 seconds and put the intake back on.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like @swathdiver said, you will likely be just fine on the drive. These codes relate to usually connection or wiring problems and very rarely the ECM but if oil is full and no noises, I very much doubt you have low oil pressure. By the way what does the pressure show? While you were in there you may have fixed a loose dirty connection or made it worse. Especially towing, it is nice to have correct feedback about engine oil pressure though. I assume the oil level is full and you see no leaks or problems at the filter? Keep extra oil with you as well and report back if any more problems on the trip back home.

OP
OP
S

shimmyt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oil pressure shows 0 but no error codes other than the two I mentioned. Also no popular of low oil pressure or anything. I was about a quart low so I just topped it off. I normally keep a couple of quarts with me. I’ll be watching it closely on the way home. But no new leaks and nothing else out of the ordinary.

OP
OP
S

shimmyt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I took the manifold off it wasn’t as tricky as I’d thought it’d be. Kind of dirty underneath there so gonna try to clean it up some.88076B2B-5F0D-47F7-BE6A-1DA0071DEEFE.jpegF99634C4-A1D7-47F4-8E85-19599AEAF8CB.jpeg75418994-0C48-45D4-9947-39B2978E13C7.jpeg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Get some paper shop towels at the parts store or a couple packages of the red cloth shop towels. Look inside each port with a bright light to see how it all looks. Then CAREFULLY use a wet towel soaked in parts cleaner or brake cleaner and reach slowly in the ports and pull out any loose debris. Then CAREFULLY stuff the towels in the ports and clean up in that valley and all around the ports. I like to use a single edge razor blade around the ports, in a blade holder with a tilt to it. Pristine cleanliness at those ports and the intake makes for a nice mating when going back together. I like Fel Pro gaskets/seals but Genuine GM is great too, or AC Delco. While apart, I would do the harness pigtail for the sensor as well and of course anything related that you took apart. I love spending other people's money.

Sensor at back next to oil sensor? Is there an updated throttle body harness as well?

OP
OP
S

shimmyt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We
Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Get some paper shop towels at the parts store or a couple packages of the red cloth shop towels. Look inside each port with a bright light to see how it all looks. Then CAREFULLY use a wet towel soaked in parts cleaner or brake cleaner and reach slowly in the ports and pull out any loose debris. Then CAREFULLY stuff the towels in the ports and clean up in that valley and all around the ports. I like to use a single edge razor blade around the ports, in a blade holder with a tilt to it. Pristine cleanliness at those ports and the intake makes for a nice mating when going back together. I like Fel Pro gaskets/seals but Genuine GM is great too, or AC Delco. While apart, I would do the harness pigtail for the sensor as well and of course anything related that you took apart. I love spending other people's money.

Sensor at back next to oil sensor? Is there an updated throttle body harness as well?
well I cleaned it up probably not to that level of detail. Bake cleaner on a rag did all around the ports. Air compressor into the ports to get debris out then shop vac everything up. I did put a new gasket on. The old one didn’t look too bad but figured swap it since I had it already. Only real thing replaced was the oil sensor.9515E8DC-83A4-4476-96E9-DB51383A3C15.jpegit’s just about done now. I will probably wipe down the throttle body again before I finish finish. Back to the store though my torque wrench is only foot pounds lol, not gonna break a bolt again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK