P0442 Permanent Code - Hitting a Wall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Shackman7878

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many members here watch this guy, but he can be funny in a dry sort of way, at time a bit sarcastic. He works on all sorts of cars, trucks, snowplows, tractors, etc. His shop is in Northern or Central Illinois, from what I can tell, so he sees the rusty stuff. "Watch Wes Work"

Anyway, here's one on a 2007 Tahoe fuel pump replacement to fix an evap leak, P0442. I think he makes it seem a bit difficult to drop the tank, but it's not that bad of a job once you have an idea of how it should go. Anyway, he does mention @iamdub's former nemesis: the evap line that runs (or should run...) over the crossmember.

Top of the tank is clean and see no leaks/rust/smoke and do not smell fuel. want a confirm before I have to drop a full tank in my slope driveway or in my dirt lot lol.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is not on top of the tank (found out the hard way) it between the 2 tanks and they where replaced. Drilled a hole above the main tank and used a bore scope and looked for smoke and did not see any. tested the back tank on the bench and in the Yukon and found no leaks ran the machine until it ran out of smoke removed the gas cap to check pressure and if there is smoke in the system. After many many many hours I got the cheap eBay scan tool VXDIAG to work on my laptop (tech2win) and could not get the Evap system test to work would fail me each time then the Suv was to hot to run it. Only odd thing could not get the scan tool to get into the ECM.

If I drop the main tank I am replacing all the lines from engine to rear tank. see last photo.
Learn something new every day! OK, well, I would replace the vent and purge solenoids if yours were mine. How long did you say that it takes for the code to return once cleared?

Mine used to come back after the 10th or so ignition cycle, towards the end of the tank of fuel. It would happen during those tests that run while the vehicle is shut off, usually while we were out to eat!

OP
OP
Shackman7878

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Learn something new every day! OK, well, I would replace the vent and purge solenoids if yours were mine. How long did you say that it takes for the code to return once cleared?

Mine used to come back after the 10th or so ignition cycle, towards the end of the tank of fuel. It would happen during those tests that run while the vehicle is shut off, usually while we were out to eat!
List of Parts Replaced to this date:
Gas Cap -
Purge Solenoid -
Vent Solenoid - 214-2149
Charcoal canister - 215-467
Vent Hose - 10355971
Vapor Canister Vent Hose (with pressure sensor) - 20931761
Vapor Canister Vent Hose (lines goes over the rear tank) - 15872644
Vapor Canister Purge Tube -12658353 12/1/2021

As for the code the check engine light has not come on at all, Being a permanent code it never goes away only way for it to go away is the car telling it the issues has been fixed. it shows up with a scan tool photo below but will not clear logged 6 drive cycles and 310 miles to this date trying to get rid of this code. Only going off my 2013 Tahoe PPV 4x4 resetting the monitors and took 2 drive cycles and 100 miles for all of them at the same time early morning and late at night same loop around the mountains and highway. Have had a Shop smoke test it and found no leaks even letting sit overnight. Only thing they where saying it could be a ECU issue.

Anyone know a Good plug and play ECU ECM play online seen a couple send in your Vin number you get a reprogrammed computer back.

Attachments

• 253343623_418780146413471_2958886851775460986_n.jpg
    253343623_418780146413471_2958886851775460986_n.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clearing that permanent code requires.
1. the repair has been performed properly
2. clear all other codes that may remain
3. complete 3 drive cycles for the "small evap leak"
this will mean 3 drive cycles from a cold start (each time) and drive it at least 10 minutes at about 50 mph (each time) and letting it sit and idle for at least 30 seconds before you shut it off. (each time), interrupting these drive cycles by disconnecting the battery, clearing codes, etc will just set you back to square one and you will have to start over again.
once the 3 drive cycles have been completed the permanent code will clear and go away on it's own.
I wouldn't worry to much about California getting you for driving it nor any excessive fee's, if you have paid everything already once it smogs you can get your tags
your not going to get pulled over unless you are doing something really stupid and even if you were to get a ticket for trying to drive it to get it to smog you just take your paperwork to the judge and they will just dismiss it, I have been to court more times than I care to remember.
keep in mind you are also allowed to have 1 pending code when you go to get it smogged and will pass

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
List of Parts Replaced to this date:
Gas Cap -
Purge Solenoid -
Vent Solenoid - 214-2149
Charcoal canister - 215-467
Vent Hose - 10355971
Vapor Canister Vent Hose (with pressure sensor) - 20931761
Vapor Canister Vent Hose (lines goes over the rear tank) - 15872644
Vapor Canister Purge Tube -12658353 12/1/2021

As for the code the check engine light has not come on at all, Being a permanent code it never goes away only way for it to go away is the car telling it the issues has been fixed. it shows up with a scan tool photo below but will not clear logged 6 drive cycles and 310 miles to this date trying to get rid of this code. Only going off my 2013 Tahoe PPV 4x4 resetting the monitors and took 2 drive cycles and 100 miles for all of them at the same time early morning and late at night same loop around the mountains and highway. Have had a Shop smoke test it and found no leaks even letting sit overnight. Only thing they where saying it could be a ECU issue.

Anyone know a Good plug and play ECU ECM play online seen a couple send in your Vin number you get a reprogrammed computer back.

These trucks were made to be serviced with the Tech-2, so that's what I would get for this one and the Tahoe. If you have a laptop, you could get GMs MDI or MDI2 adapter and put the GDS or GDS2 software on it and that should handle the whole GM fleet. You'll have to check to make sure.

Guess I learned something new again, didn't know about permanent codes that clear with drive cycles. We haven't had those annoying inspections for about twenty years here.

Don't know if you are aware, you can access the shop manual and troubleshooting guide with an online subscription to AllDataDIY. They have a new, more extensive set up that I have only briefly seen, I'm on the old setup until my subscription expires next year.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These trucks were made to be serviced with the Tech-2, so that's what I would get for this one and the Tahoe. If you have a laptop, you could get GMs MDI or MDI2 adapter and put the GDS or GDS2 software on it and that should handle the whole GM fleet. You'll have to check to make sure.

Guess I learned something new again, didn't know about permanent codes that clear with drive cycles. We haven't had those annoying inspections for about twenty years here.

Don't know if you are aware, you can access the shop manual and troubleshooting guide with an online subscription to AllDataDIY. They have a new, more extensive set up that I have only briefly seen, I'm on the old setup until my subscription expires next year.
2007 was a crossover year for introducing MDI1, and is not compatible with some 2007 trucks.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This page lists the difference between several types of codes:

And here is an excerpt:

1638477664100.png

OP
OP
Shackman7878

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got good news and bad news

Good news - It passes smog, when I spoke with a tech friend who has been smoging cars for XX amount of years. Said I can have 1 pending code and 1 incompliant monitor. But he said had this been a 2010 I could not have passed smog with a pending/Set permanent code.

Bad news - the code is still there after 2 more driving cycles but now I have 2 years to fix the issue.

Attachments

• 261881382_510240199987501_5659536567802369079_n.jpg
    261881382_510240199987501_5659536567802369079_n.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan