P0175 & P0172, Hard Cold Start, Recent Emissions System Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thebbc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A little while ago, my vehicle started throwing a few emissions codes, starting with P0455, then P0449. I replaced the Purge Valve and Vent Valve solenoids, and got rid of that issue entirely. However, right after I got the new vent valve solenoid on the vehicle and verified that code was resolved, it began giving me the P0175 and P0172 consistently.

LT fuel trim sits at -19.5 for both banks at idle, which seems to be its floor, and only ever reaches 0 at WOT, but never above 0. Even warm, it stays at -19.5. ST fuel trim starts each trip around -5, but slowly creeps into the -10 and lower range as the drive goes on. Once warmed up, it seems to bounce anywhere from -14 to -5 at idle. It does increase with the throttle, but then adjusts itself to remain rich. It can’t seem to reach that equilibrium. It also hesitates slightly on the first start after a few hours sitting, but runs fine after about 5-10 seconds.

I recently drove through the West Virginia mountains with a heavier trailer behind my Tahoe, and when it kicked down into 2nd gear to take a hill at 65 MPH, 4,000ish RPM, you could hear a whistling sound from the front of the vehicle under heavy load, which took a couple seconds in 2nd gear before it started and ended as soon as it shifted back into 3rd at the crest. I had replaced the purge valve a couple of days before the trip as well.

Would I be chasing a vacuum leak at this point, or could it be something else? The MAF reads .7-.8 lb/Min at idle, with a MAP of around 9.4 inHg, which both appear to be around normal. My next step is to try cleaning the MAF since I did add a CAI about 9 months ago, but I would’ve thought that would create issues before the 14k mile mark on the tube and filter. I replaced the filter, but had no luck on the trims readjusting.

I’m brand new to Maryland and want to make sure she passes emissions testing without any real headaches. Never had to deal with them before, so it’s a new world of worry.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A vacuum leak would typically cause it to run lean and add fuel to compensate. Check fuel pressure and take a good look at the regulator

Sean James

Reaction score
The whistle at high rpm could be your CAI, mine did it under most any hard acceleration, went back to stock airbox and seemed to run better and no more whistle, which always gave me a ***** when I got on it. I would put stock airbox back on, clean MAF and check trims again, unless you have already checked trims with stock box on already.

OP
OP
T

Thebbc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The whistle at high rpm could be your CAI, mine did it under most any hard acceleration, went back to stock airbox and seemed to run better and no more whistle, which always gave me a ***** when I got on it. I would put stock airbox back on, clean MAF and check trims again, unless you have already checked trims with stock box on already.

I thought that as well, but I hadn’t noticed it on previous towing experiences with the same intake, albeit not under the same level of load. I can’t exactly switch to the stock air box either since I sold it when I was moving here from halfway across the country Would it really take a few months for the trims to get this out of whack, and seemingly so suddenly? I did have to replace a battery last month before I could get the vent valve replaced, but I’m not sure that had any effect on it or if the computer lost its old settings.

OP
OP
T

Thebbc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A vacuum leak would typically cause it to run lean and add fuel to compensate. Check fuel pressure and take a good look at the regulator

Could it being a flex fuel vehicle affect that as well? Just realized that I forgot to include that in the original post. Would the alcohol content number being wrong cause it to think it’s too rich?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it being a flex fuel vehicle affect that as well? Just realized that I forgot to include that in the original post. Would the alcohol content number being wrong cause it to think it’s too rich?

Hmmm... does this year have a flex fuel sensor?

OP
OP
T

Thebbc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmmm... does this year have a flex fuel sensor?
It’s a 2006, but it is a bit of a Frankenstein vehicle as far as the engine is concerned. It has a 2007 block, but I believe only the bottom end since it still has the 706 heads instead of the 799’s. The swap happened over 8 years ago, however

OP
OP
T

Thebbc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: cleaned the MAF, filled the fuel tank, then went on a 30 mile drive with majority interstate. LT fuel trims started trending upwards towards -10, then dropped again and stayed at -19.5 the majority of the way, ST spent early parts of the drive highly positive, then went majority negative, mostly around -7 with cruise on.

Checked codes after the interstate driving, and none had popped up in the 20+ miles at those speeds, which is longer than it’s taken since these codes began. Once parked, though, checked again, and it’s setting the same ones as before. Seems cleaning the MAF had no real effect.

Sean James

Reaction score
I had similar results cleaning MAF's, which are no results, but it was quick and easy insurance. I had one that had heavily modified and rigged wiring to the maf using 6 ft lengths of 14 ga wires, I guess to reach the CAI new maf location. The wiring resistance was off.

So I chopped off mess and carefully soldered short 18ga wires back on connector, put stock box on, and codes never came back.

Guess just a longwinded way of saying check wires, connections, etc. ya never know.

OP
OP
T

Thebbc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had similar results cleaning MAF's, which are no results, but it was quick and easy insurance. I had one that had heavily modified and rigged wiring to the maf using 6 ft lengths of 14 ga wires, I guess to reach the CAI new maf location. The wiring resistance was off.

So I chopped off mess and carefully soldered short 18ga wires back on connector, put stock box on, and codes never came back.

Guess just a longwinded way of saying check wires, connections, etc. ya never know.

I do need to call Spectre at some point and figure out a replacement for the anti-vibration bolt this week. Looks like somebody (for the first time, I’m not the one who broke something) probably leaned on it and snapped the thing cleanly in two. Might be worth looking around to make sure there’s no issues with wiring when I fix that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd