P/S pump pulley - is this normal? Video inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
I am currently trying to track the source of an embarrassing belt squeak/squeal at 800+ rpm. I've already replaced the idler and tensioner pulleys, and the belt itself is next. If I spray water on the belt, anywhere on the belt, the squeak will stop for a few moments.

Anyway, I've done some reading and it looks like the p/s pump pulley being misaligned has caused some trouble for some guys. My eyes alone aren't good enough to tell whether it's aligned or not, but it looks OK to me. I decided to take the S-belt off again and start messing with all the pulleys. The p/s pulley has a tiny bit of backward and forward play, and I'm worried about the noise it makes when I spin it and that it doesn't really seem to move freely. Is this normal? And in the event that I have to replace it.. is it possible to replace just the pulley while leaving the pump on the truck or does the whole pump have to come out?

edit: I should mention that my steering feels fine, fluid level is good, and there's no whine coming from the pump as far as I can tell.

I also took a video of the truck running, tried to get it from the side so someone can tell me if they see any evidence of misalignment. The squeak can be heard a bit at 7 seconds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MichaelSE

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm trying to figure out if the noise is a symptom of bad pulley bearings or a bad pump. Any idea? I was looking at this pulley and I honestly can't tell whether the bearings are on it... or if the bearings are inside the pump itself.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
You be best off replacing the pump. The pulley is only a pulley. Bearings are inside the pump. Putting on a new pulley with noisy/worn bearings is only going to do the same thing. Pump usually comes without the pulley so your going to either transfer your old one, or purchase new one and still have to install it.
The pump is really easy to remove. Take. Turkey baster and remove much fluild as you can, disconnect lines, remove 4 bolts (15mm) on the face of the pump, 1 on the right side of pump and it will come off

OP
OP
MichaelSE

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. It doesn't look like too bad of a job, I think the hardest parts will be taking off and putting on the pulley and bleeding the air afterwards.