2007 Denali power steering question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebaum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 07 Denali and I'm tracking down a squealing in the engine. I'm pretty sure it's the power steering. I'm having zero power steering issues other than the squeal.

My question is this, I have the pulley off and a new one in hand, but should I go ahead and replace the pump and lines? Or should I just try to replace the pulley and see if that works?

Thanks for the input

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at or replaced the tensioner? Quite a bit of the time the tensioner gets weak and doesn’t tighten the belt as needed and it slips and squeaks.

OP
OP
T

thebaum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you looked at or replaced the tensioner? Quite a bit of the time the tensioner gets weak and doesn’t tighten the belt as needed and it slips and squeaks.
Yeah I replace the tensioner and the older pulley as those were simple and cheap

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you replaced the belt to be sure the belt isnt stretched out? Power steering pulleys never go bad unless a large outside force has acted upon it (like a wreck).

OP
OP
T

thebaum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you replaced the belt to be sure the belt isnt stretched out? Power steering pulleys never go bad unless a large outside force has acted upon it (like a wreck).
Belt is pretty new but I did get a new one to put on but I already had it apart for the power steering. Maybe I should put it back together first before I proceed and see if that fixes it!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belt is pretty new but I did get a new one to put on but I already had it apart for the power steering. Maybe I should put it back together first before I proceed and see if that fixes it!
That's what I would do. Also, even a slight misalignment between the pulleys on these can cause squealing.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, put it back together first and see if the squealing stops. I'm assuming that you have not experienced any loss of power steering fluid.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Glad you’re addressing this right away. Losing that accessory belt at any speed turns the truck into an unstoppable, unsteerable 3T freight train. Ask me how I know. I had 6 kids in the 08 YXL Denali at the time going 60 getting off the freeway.

I got the Gates HD green colored belt kit off Amazon that comes with a new A/C stretch belt. All with a lifetime guarantee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz