OW20 IN HOT CLIMATE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon2525

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a GMC Yukon 2016 5.3 V8. The recommended oil is 0w20 which has been used in my car up till now 70,000 km. I live in the Middle-east where the temperature in summer goes up to 50C AND even in winter it stays in the 30s. I was reading about oil grades and it says 0W20 is good for cold climates as the oil is pretty thin and provides immediate lubrication when you start the car. My question is since we don't have much of winter here and the heat is insane why should I use 0w20 I mean 5w40 or 10w40 seems reasonable for the climate even if the company claims that the passageway for the oil is pretty narrow still I would say 0w40 is somewhat understandable but 0w20 is just too thin plus my YUKON is having valve noise which is starting to increase and my friend having the same Yukon with much more kilometers on the clock is putting 5w40 he's Yukon is super quiet no valve sound during idling and plus he says he's car is way more smooth as compared to before when he was putting the factory recommended oil in it. since my Yukon is getting old and the engine has more kilometers on the clock wouldn't it be better if I put 5w40 in it? Because I don't want for few mpg to ruin my Engine because in some videos I heard them saying they have recommended thin oil for better emission and mpg.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a GMC Yukon 2016 5.3 V8. The recommended oil is 0w20 which has been used in my car up till now 70,000 km. I live in the Middle-east where the temperature in summer goes up to 50C AND even in winter it stays in the 30s. I was reading about oil grades and it says 0W20 is good for cold climates as the oil is pretty thin and provides immediate lubrication when you start the car. My question is since we don't have much of winter here and the heat is insane why should I use 0w20 I mean 5w40 or 10w40 seems reasonable for the climate even if the company claims that the passageway for the oil is pretty narrow still I would say 0w40 is somewhat understandable but 0w20 is just too thin plus my YUKON is having valve noise which is starting to increase and my friend having the same Yukon with much more kilometers on the clock is putting 5w40 he's Yukon is super quiet no valve sound during idling and plus he says he's car is way more smooth as compared to before when he was putting the factory recommended oil in it. since my Yukon is getting old and the engine has more kilometers on the clock wouldn't it be better if I put 5w40 in it? Because I don't want for few mpg to ruin my Engine because in some videos I heard them saying they have recommended thin oil for better emission and mpg.
I will let you know when my 2016 Tahoe [bought new in 2016] drops dead from using 0w20 in Miami Beach jungle heat with tons of gridlock daily...Plus a/c is constantly on.

I now have 145K miles on it. I also make runs from Miami-NYC a couple of times a year. I use either 0w20 Mobil 1 or 0w20 AC Delco.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5w30, using non recommended is at your own risk

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will let you know when my 2016 Tahoe [bought new in 2016] drops dead from using 0w20 in Miami Beach jungle heat with tons of gridlock daily...Plus a/c is constantly on.

I now have 145K miles on it. I also make runs from Miami-NYC a couple of times a year. I use either 0w20 Mobil 1 or 0w20 AC Delco.
I would start using Pennzoil platinum Apparently this natural gas based oil is far superior to other full synthetics... being the purity level it self...

I have been running AFM lately as well.. no valve chatter on cold starts like the sonic using ac delco or toyota which is using mobil1 oil(that is their source)

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've stated this through multiple posts, but I believe in 5w-30 and have run my 2017 for 90k+ on that oil and it works just fine from cold as a witches ti tty to hot in the 100F midwest summers.

I tend to base my use off the commercial version of the equivalent engine. Ie: 6.6L gas motor - same engine design minus extra emission gimmicks, and runs 5w-30.

It's up to you, but a slightly thicker oil won't hurt a thing

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No to dinosaur marrow. Yes to synthetic.
More importantly:
Change your oil more often than oil life monitor says.
Deactivate V4 mode.
Tune ecm to turn on radiator fans sooner to keep motor oil cooler.