Overlanding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a proper built rig but i have just got into off roading, overlanding type stuff with my 2013 Chevy avalanche i mean i am pretty stock just have 2.5/1.5 leveling on Bilstein 5100 Cognito UCA and k02s. I mean its capable with caution i have damaged alot of things, i am in the proccess of fabricating sliders, bumpers and skid plates right now, but i can agree there is better and other options out there for overlanding,

but as of now i am just working with what i have and build it to work for off roading.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I am sure plenty of people can understand what I posted above at least anyone with an elementary education.

You haven't really made any valid points yet your points you may have thought you made contradict some of the things you said....

So far as you being being mean lol I have had plenty of pansy's in my life who were much worse than this. People who tend to try and bully people into their line of thinking are insecure because of their own personal inadequacies.

The Phoenix run you mention is NOT an overland run at all. People do not do 7 out of 10 runs when overlanding well unless they are idiots... But, maybe that is your point...

So, you should follow your own advice and stop misinforming people with your incorrect ideas of what Over land travel is really about. It is NOT about how tough it is. It is not a bunch of posers trying to see how hard of a trip they can go on.

I was living in Wickenburg for a few months this year and spent a lot of time running hundreds of miles of trails around there. The one you mention is in that area and it can be done with an almost stock vehicle. Sorry I wont be there to prove anything because I actually could careless what you think.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, that's a lot of feelings

--------------------------

OP disregard all this nonsense. Please go do some research about what makes a good overland vehicle in the correct communities and then spend your money and energy accordingly.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
lol, that a lot of feelings
By the way that is very bad grammar...

OK Let's see on Expedition Portal in the NON POSER section I am sure we wont find you in it though. That would be people who actually have the drive to do REAL overland travel and adventure.

When we look at the section "In progress Adventures"
To be fair I only searched the first page that came up and this is what I found.

We have at least two people using a Toyota FJ, Those are IFS
A 2000 Suburban we know those are IFS
1978 Toyota Dolphin mini motor home two wheel drive with IFS,
A 2015 Toyota Hilux that has IFS
A very old pick up with a camper on the back I am not sure what it is.
A 3500 crew cab Chevy camper... I think they have IFS too
Toyota Landcruiser with a camper conversion on it. It does have a solid axle..
Nissan SUV also ISF
Jeep Rubicon... I think it has a solid axle...
A school bus...I am pretty sure it is two wheel drive...

SO, my first point is almost everyone is IFS.. this is contrary to what some so called expert is telling us above... How about that POINT... These are people who are REAL overlanders traveling the world not some egotistical guy on a back trail in AZ. This is one the site I am told I will get laughed at for my statement supporting IFS...

OK refute that... And I will gladly come back with a lot more...

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I don't have a proper built rig but i have just got into off roading, overlanding type stuff with my 2013 Chevy avalanche i mean i am pretty stock just have 2.5/1.5 leveling on Bilstein 5100 Cognito UCA and k02s. I mean its capable with caution i have damaged alot of things, i am in the proccess of fabricating sliders, bumpers and skid plates right now, but i can agree there is better and other options out there for overlanding,

but as of now i am just working with what i have and build it to work for off roading.

We can spend our whole life on looking for something better and you will always find better but, then you will start all over and you will waste a lot of time building instead of getting out and doing it...

That is a great start it shows it can be done and I bet it will go in a lot more places than what you think it will.

What was most of your damage on mine to start it was plastic bumpers and other stuff that has been replaced now. I would love to see how your sliders turn out be sure to post up some photos on them.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK refute that... And I will gladly come back with a lot more...

80c.png

Not sure how to break this to you, especially cause it looks like you put a lot of effort into it, but I never mentioned IFS as a valid reason to disqualify a vehicle from overlanding. You're literally arguing with yourself.

Anyway, it's been mildly fun. Luckily for the OP the resources are there for them to figure this out for themselves. In the meantime I'm looking forward to the thread where a 3/5 drop and 305s make a formula 1 car.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
lol, that's a lot of feelings

--------------------------

OP disregard all this nonsense. Please go do some research about what makes a good overland vehicle in the correct communities and then spend your money and energy accordingly.
I believe what you said originally was that the 4wd system in these vehicles isn't designed for serious offroading? What makes you say that? Is it the transfer case? suspension geometry? Is it the aluminum front axle housing that really doesn't like lockers?

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We can spend our whole life on looking for something better and you will always find better but, then you will start all over and you will waste a lot of time building instead of getting out and doing it...

That is a great start it shows it can be done and I bet it will go in a lot more places than what you think it will.

What was most of your damage on mine to start it was plastic bumpers and other stuff that has been replaced now. I would love to see how your sliders turn out be sure to post up some photos on them.

Because of my height the depature/approach angles are terrbile so it ripped off my front plastic valance so i trimmed it down and reinstalled it, the rear bumper i damaged my parking sensors, now they dont work lol cracked the bumper cover a bit bent the trailer harness plug in and mangled the OEM factory side steps when i got high centered so the first thing going on will be the sliders, they are getting sand blasted then powder coated in a few days ill post pics once installed.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've seen Avalanches go places and do things I would have never thought possible. They do even more when lifted with larger tires too.

Is MOAB part of Overlanding? Also seen a stock tired 2013 GMC Yukon XL do it on YouTube.

Don't know what they called it back then, but have also seen (film and photo) and read accounts of folks in the 1920s traveling around the world in the autos of that era with their open tops and wooden spoked wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9