Overlanding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the proper air and cabin filters you would be fine, after all the Hummer has been at it for a while now, I drove a few hours of "sandstorm" in my NBS, I did get sand in every crack and crevice and it took a while to get most of the visible sand cleaned out I also ended up with sanded headlights and front bumper, the lower valance which had previously been painted to match was now stock plastic color, I should have stopped and waited but it would have been a few days, this was a trip from Vegas to Barstow and there was I think at the time a couple solid weeks of heavy winds which were also stoking heavy fires in a another area to the south. I passed numerous vehicles parked on the side of the road I guess trying to wait it out, I didn't see the point you were going to get sandblasted either way unless you found cover.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
@Tozan I'm interested in how your achieving that mpg... I'm lucky to get 13-14 on hwy

What year is your Tahoe?
What gearing and tries are you running?
Don't you have a 8 inch lift too?

Mine has a 4 inch lift so the aerodynamics are a little better with a lower frontal area.

I am also running 35's

My gearing is 4.10 until I re-geared mine got terrible millage as low as 12 mpg...

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
With the proper air and cabin filters you would be fine, after all the Hummer has been at it for a while now, I drove a few hours of "sandstorm" in my NBS, I did get sand in every crack and crevice and it took a while to get most of the visible sand cleaned out I also ended up with sanded headlights and front bumper, the lower valance which had previously been painted to match was now stock plastic color, I should have stopped and waited but it would have been a few days, this was a trip from Vegas to Barstow and there was I think at the time a couple solid weeks of heavy winds which were also stoking heavy fires in a another area to the south. I passed numerous vehicles parked on the side of the road I guess trying to wait it out, I didn't see the point you were going to get sandblasted either way unless you found cover.

My wife was having a lot of problems with dust in our rig she would suffer for a few days after a trip. When I removed the vents and opened up the rear AC area for cleaning I was surprised by the amount of dust inside. So I installed a charcoal impregnated cabin filter it reduced amount of dust coming in drastically.

For reducing dust the first step is keep windows closed and the Air conditioning on recirculate. But even on recirculate your system will still mix some outside air into the cabin so installing the cabin filter kit will be needed to clean things up.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Overland is not rock crawlin'. Think these do much overlanding? Seen the same front bumper mod on all of em, and probably isnt too hard...rnpca3398-vi.jpgChevy_Tahoe-_Border_Patrol_-_Blaine_Sector,_WA_(16741404067).jpg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For reducing dust the first step is keep windows closed and the Air conditioning on recirculate. But even on recirculate your system will still mix some outside air into the cabin so installing the cabin filter kit will be needed to clean things up.

My experience as well. I have read that the recirc doesn't completely close off the outside by design. We can still smell the city dump when we drive by. Then again, that is one of two actuators that are acting up in our rig.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Overland is not rock crawlin'. Think these do much overlanding? Seen the same front bumper mod on all of em, and probably isnt too hard...View attachment 231363View attachment 231364

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Overland is NOT rock crawling and most real over landers would not consider any rock crawling unless there was absolutely no way around it. Not to many of the overland people traveling the world on EP have vehicles that could handle it.

Contrary to some incorrect statements on here if you go to Expedition Portal and look in the full size rig section or the Full size rig section in Overland Bound you will find plenty of people using big GM SUV platform vehicles for getting out and having fun.

One of those would work out great. It would give you as much approach angle as a steel bumper at a fraction of the cost and I would imagine it has done a lot of off pavement travel in it's life already.

Pick one of those up and even if you put $5 grand into it you will be way ahead of buying or building a more extreme vehicle. You will have something that will hold the weight of extra gear and supplies. How many miles do those have on them?

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
My experience as well. I have read that the recirc doesn't completely close off the outside by design.

Yes, it is designed into all cars otherwise on a long trip you would die... lol In the same manner if you turn off the AC / heater completely there will still be some airflow coming in.

To test that idea just wash your windows and you will normally smell the washer fluid. There actually was a company who sold car air freshener you put in your washer fluid. You just hit the windshield washer to freshen it up inside... I tried it out and it did work.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To test that idea just wash your windows and you will normally smell the washer fluid.

I get an earfull from my lady passengers when I hit the washer fluid to clean the windshield! They hate the smell of the Windex Bug Cleaner as it is most unpleasant! LOL

Switching brands...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts