Overlanding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
To get back on topic because there is actually some useful info scattered in this thread from all sides of the discussion.

I am not conflating the two erroneously.

Think of it this way, you can have a Swiss army knife with three tools or you can have one with ten tools, which one prepares you better for more eventualities? Do you have to have lockers and a very capable 4x4 as a build starting point? No, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Yes a person can slap a tent, some tools, and supplies on anything, hit a few dirt roads, and camp out by the creek. In this age where people are free to identify as anything they please, one can call those overland vehicles if it makes them happy. :) And yes there have been epic overlanding journeys achieved by pretty basic vehicles. That's not the point though. Part of ovelanding is not knowing what road conditions are around the next corner, or even if there is a river around the corner instead of a road. It stands to reason that the more tools one has in their toolbox the better their chances of getting through it with their vehicle and themselves unscathed.

No one is saying that a GMT900 suv can't be turned into an overland vehicle, all I'm saying is that it's not a good starting platform relative to other available ones out there as one is limiting their options from the get go, or has to pay a lot of money to put in those options when off the shelf solutions are readily available.

It's all fun and games typing about it on a forum, but not having the right equipment, especially when equipment was available that would have made a difference in a bad spot, can cost one their vehicle or even their life. That's probably why I'm a little more aggressive on this topic than others.

Anyway, mercifully for all I think I've exhausted all I have to say on the subject.

I certainly am not experienced in either overland or off road vehicles to any extent over a touristy "trail" here or there. I cannot argue merits of one truck over another in this context, but I am genuinely curious about the subject. Would you indulge me and type just a touch more here? Lol.

You've mentioned a couple of times "better" available starting platforms. Seems to me, everybody jumps to that meaning a jeep. What would you list as the top few choices and why?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conversely, as you continue to improve the off-road capability of a given vehicle, you tend to worsen other important things - like livability (space and comfort) and payload capacity.

That can be true in the case of some vehicles and not so true in the case of others. The degree of compromise required to balance those two variables out in any vehicle is part of what determines what is a better starting platform for an overland build.

You are right that you never know what kind of challenge you are going to have to navigate on the next leg of the journey, but there are ways around those challenges...you don't always have to go right through or over them.

I think this is a the crux of the disagreement. When a person and their vehicle embark on an overland expedition, especially across continents like S America, Africa, Central Asia, and even in some places in NA, once they get committed to a route there is little option for driving around things. A simple storm can turn a stream into a river and it could take hours or days to retrace and find another route. Sometimes the route you just drove can't be turned back into (you made it down the mountain but can't get back the other way for example)

Overland people don't go seeking extreme situations, in fact they will always choose the terrain of least resistance, but sometimes avoidance just isn't an option. So the only way is through the obstacle if the vehicle is capable of it. Again, all of these things are just different tools in the toolbox in case they are needed. Even with all the tools possible, sometime things can come up that cannot be overcome and turning back is the only way, but why not have the solution to the problem ready?

I really think the reason for most disagreement on this subject is because people are saying different things when they say overlanding. For a lot people here in the US, if a vehicle has capability to go off road enough to get to isolation and stay out there for a week they will term that as overlanding. I had a built 18 Raptor that I spent a lot of $ on to keep its off road capability whilst carrying 1000lb of off road and survival gear, including camping gear, solar array, recovery tools, liquids, lowrance off road nav, firearms, ammo, etc ... the truck was build as both a fun off roader and as a bug out vehicle meant to take me and mrs soulsea to places inaccessible by most of the rest of humanity, and have two people stay out there for two weeks without running out of supplies. The truck had rear lockers and had component upgrades everywhere, it was immensely capable and could overcome more obstacles than vehicles short of a tight forest road ... all that and it still wasn't an overland vehicle, at least not to me. If one day I build one of those I will start out with a better (and smaller) off road platform.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The degree of compromise required to balance those two variables out in any vehicle is part of what determines what is a better starting platform for an overland build.

I agree on that thought and it appears that we simply disagree on where the Tahoe falls in that spectrum. Also note that the OP asked if the Tahoe is a good overlanding vehicle, not if it's the best. We both agree it's not the best.

When a person and their vehicle embark on an overland expedition, especially across continents like S America, Africa, Central Asia, and even in some places in NA, once they get committed to a route there is little option for driving around things. A simple storm can turn a stream into a river and it could take hours or days to retrace and find another route. Sometimes the route you just drove can't be turned back into (you made it down the mountain but can't get back the other way for example)

Overland people don't go seeking extreme situations, in fact they will always choose the terrain of least resistance, but sometimes avoidance just isn't an option. So the only way is through the obstacle if the vehicle is capable of it. Again, all of these things are just different tools in the toolbox in case they are needed. Even with all the tools possible, sometime things can come up that cannot be overcome and turning back is the only way, but why not have the solution to the problem ready?

Fair points - however there really is no way to "have the solution to the problem ready". It doesn't matter how immensely capable your vehicle is, nature can screw you regardless. There really is a pretty small range of conditions, in the overall picture, that the human species has vehicles for. Most of the terrain on this planet is impassable with any land vehicle we've ever built.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
lol, that's a lot of feelings

--------------------------

OP disregard all this nonsense. Please go do some research about what makes a good overland vehicle in the correct communities and then spend your money and energy accordingly.

Just saying, It is a little defeating to throw a thread/question on a forum expressing enthusiam to try an adventure with the vehicle you currently have only to be told your vehicle has been excluded from the adventure and it would be impossible for you and your family to experience any part "overlanding" with it? How important is it to you to be right? I think the ability to choose the correct line on a trail, Knowing when to stop or turn around will allow allmost any vehicle to "overland" to an extent? No disrespect intended. I read further, i thought the op was headed to NM for few days, not crossing continents? I will agree i would not take a tahoe accross the blow sands of the sahara desert,lol

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly am not experienced in either overland or off road vehicles to any extent over a touristy "trail" here or there. I cannot argue merits of one truck over another in this context, but I am genuinely curious about the subject. Would you indulge me and type just a touch more here? Lol.

You've mentioned a couple of times "better" available starting platforms. Seems to me, everybody jumps to that meaning a jeep. What would you list as the top few choices and why?

When I say 'better' I simply mean ones with more capabilities build into them that way one doesn't have to either forgo them or have to add them themselves.

The 'best' platform will in the end be determined by the builder to achieve what he actually wants to achieve with the vehicle.

For example a lot of people favor starting with much older vehicles, like classic FJs and Defenders. These have no electronics and can be fixed relatively easily should something break. Some people prefer Diesel engines, not only for torque but also because once you get out in the continents diesel tends to be more readily available and quality is apparently more consistent. Older diesel Nissan Patrols and Mitsu Pajeros are very popular as overland vehicles in the rest of the world, as are older G wagons. Other people like to have huge expedition vehicles like the Prospector XL or the Earthroamer., even Raptor conversions like mine sometimes, but the big rigs are oft shunned by the overland purists, they're a finicky bunch. :) Some people really love the van conversions. With newer vehicles LR4s are very popular because of their off road capability, as are 4runners/Tacos despite the fact that they are painfully underpowered when not off road. Of course Land Cruisers. Colorado ZR2s are becoming more popular. Jeeps are in there too, but not as much as one would assume not having dug into the culture. The Revel is pretty neat but not an overland vehicle by any means, but a nice 4x4 glamper.

There's no shortage of new and old vehicles that it can be done with, some are 'better' starting point from an objective engineering point of view and then it boils down to the precise requirement of the owner. If one likes cars Expedition Portal is a fun place to visit and read all the things are doing with all sorts of vehicles. Overland Expo is also a fantastic thing to visit for a car guy.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
having experienced some things in this category I will comment 3 things,
1. NEVER trust a gps to direct you on a good path, it's just a dumb satellite map the road could be a 150 years old and never ever maintained, you can be risking your life and the life of others with you.
2. what Soulsea said is true sometimes you could be dedicated to go one way and come to find out the road is GONE, un noted, un-marked, just gone period. with no way to overcome it.
3. always let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return even if it is just a neighbor, shit happens usually at the worst possible time.
I have been on some trips that would make your hair stand end, really wish I had the money, time and resources to keep doing it because it is one of life's great pleasure to me.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saying, It is a little defeating to throw a thread/question on a forum expressing enthusiam to try an adventure with the vehicle you currently have only to be told your vehicle has been excluded from the adventure and it would be impossible for you and your family to experience any part "overlanding" with it? How important is it to you to be right? I think the ability to choose the correct line on a trail, Knowing when to stop or turn around will allow allmost any vehicle to "overland" to an extent? No disrespect intended. I read further, i thought the op was headed to NM for few days, not crossing continents? I will agree i would not take a tahoe accross the blow sands of the sahara desert,lol

Honestly I wish the OP had been more descriptive in their question. If all they want is an off road conversion it would have saved me from myself. :)

But until that happens all we have to go on is the fact that they asked about overlanding both in the title and in his post, and most of the discussion (at least for my part) has been around that topic.

And NM, just like the rest of the SW has some epic overland off road journeys. I did one (without camping) a while back from Taos, through Dulce, through the continental divide, then through Silverton/Ouray, to SLC through Moab. Some sections require very off road capable vehicles.

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have this rack installed? Its by KC Hilites seems like a new product they released, seeing if this would be good for roof top tent.

Screenshot_20190924-110924_Chrome.jpg

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have this rack installed? Its by KC Hilites seems like a new product they released, seeing if this would be good for roof top tent.

View attachment 231274

I looked at that one. It looks awesome but it's like $1200. They have ones for the Tahoe and Suburban too.

I'm currently looking into modifying one of the many racks available for the 4Runner. Prinsu Designs has beautiful racks in many different sizes for the 4Runner for $600-700.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne