Overlanding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at that one. It looks awesome but it's like $1200. They have ones for the Tahoe and Suburban too.

I'm currently looking into modifying one of the many racks available for the 4Runner. Prinsu Designs has beautiful racks in many different sizes for the 4Runner for $600-700.

Yeah i like the KC racks cause they have the flood lights on the side great for rocky terrain at night. Those prinsu racks are real nice all the Tacoma guys love it, been in one with it and had almost no wind noise.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's likely no perfect vehicle for all men because all approach this from different perspectives. If a young man wants to go Overlanding in America and his dad gave him an old Avalanche, then that would be his most economical starting point. Such vehicles also have a large payload rating allowing them to be loaded up with gear and not affect their ride and handling as much as a smaller vehicle.

If I was 25, fit, healthy and money no object, I would consider a Land Rover Defender 90 or 110 or maybe even a Suzuki Samurai! I was the guy who thrived when told it couldn't be done.

Now, old and sore I'm driving my Overland vehicle right now! I have no desire to cross any other continents but the good 'ole USAs! They'd probably throw me in jail and steal my car anyways.

Or maybe a White Duece and a Half with a Continental Mult-Fuel Motor? Then again I always liked the 5-tons too!

Those Top Gear shows had some fun with "Overlanding" out west with 4x4s too.

Last edited:

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As i mentioned before, i would love to do some light off road camping. Was planning on doing a 4x4 conversion on my 30' Class C. I believe conversions start at $18K+

Screenshot_20190924-123655_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20190924-123714_Instagram.jpg

OP
OP
Thebesta94

Thebesta94

Reaction score
I guess I should have been more descriptive in my OP... lol, really i was in search of groups within this thread that go overlanding, and what things people have specifically added to their tahoe/yukon in order to assist in this. If anyone has ever experienced certain issues on trips with their tahoes I should maybe bring certain tools for... I do basically all my own work so im mechanically inclined to fix most issues. Really looking to experiment and dip my toes i nthe water before deciding if I want to try and build a dedicated rig

Currently Im running a full 8" suspension lift (all fox shocks), so i have pretty decent ground clearance before anything is going to get touched in addition to the 37" ko2's im running... would prob get down to 35s for the adventures to have a little lower center of gravity. I run it all over my ranch, thru creeks, up and down rough hills, and I have done some rough trails out in colorado as well.

Not looking to carry crazy ammounts of extra weight, maybe 2 passengers, a rooftop tent, spare, and some supplies but nothing extreme... just looking for 5-7 day adventures really with the girlfriend an dog. Im not looking to do any extreme offroading, and would advoid doing so as this is also my daily driver and im not trying to ruin it. Really just looking to do some exploring, see some beautiful views, and enjoy the outdoors.

I have a samuri that I use for crawling/offroading... and i have no fear of beating the shit out of that but its not comfortable for long trips and not street legal to get where i want to go.

OP
OP
Thebesta94

Thebesta94

Reaction score
just read what I posted and it is all over the place... but covers most of what im trying to get across... everyone has valid points to take into consideration but I have to agree with @Tozan as I have see some tahos do some crazy as shit I did not expect and they were relatively stockk... (the driver had big ol balls) and i think mine would do fine and serve the purpose Im trying to get out of it

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a samuri that I use for crawling/offroading...

Miss my Sammy! That little thing could go just about anywhere too! It even went head first into a concrete barrier and saved my butt but sacrificed itself.

We took a shovel along but never used it. On a long trip out west, to say Moki Dugway, Goosenecks State Park, Valley of the gods and Monument Valley, I'd bring some extra fuel along in Wavian jerry cans. Probably 20-30 gallons and 10-20 gallons of water.

Last edited:

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I guess I should have been more descriptive in my OP... lol, really i was in search of groups within this thread that go overlanding, and what things people have specifically added to their tahoe/yukon in order to assist in this. If anyone has ever experienced certain issues on trips with their tahoes I should maybe bring certain tools for... I do basically all my own work so im mechanically inclined to fix most issues. Really looking to experiment and dip my toes i nthe water before deciding if I want to try and build a dedicated rig

Currently Im running a full 8" suspension lift (all fox shocks), so i have pretty decent ground clearance before anything is going to get touched in addition to the 37" ko2's im running... would prob get down to 35s for the adventures to have a little lower center of gravity. I run it all over my ranch, thru creeks, up and down rough hills, and I have done some rough trails out in colorado as well.

Not looking to carry crazy ammounts of extra weight, maybe 2 passengers, a rooftop tent, spare, and some supplies but nothing extreme... just looking for 5-7 day adventures really with the girlfriend an dog. Im not looking to do any extreme offroading, and would advoid doing so as this is also my daily driver and im not trying to ruin it. Really just looking to do some exploring, see some beautiful views, and enjoy the outdoors.

I have a samuri that I use for crawling/offroading... and i have no fear of beating the shit out of that but its not comfortable for long trips and not street legal to get where i want to go.

I stripped all but the front seats out of mine this helps reduce weight and it gives me a lot more storage space down low. My rig is still under 7,000 pounds full tank and fully loaded with two people on board. With the bed platform I have it is easy to access gear under there and my refrigerator is easy to get to. I love the idea of a RTT but, I also like the comfort of a 5 inch memory foam mattress and being able to stop and crawl in back to sleep with no set up. I wonder how a RTT will affect it with the weight on top. I am trying to find someone with a loaner so I can test it out. I also wonder how it will affect the 17 - 18 mpg I get now.

My rig does great I have been to some very cool places with it often for months at a time. From Phoenix to North rim of the grand canyon, Moab Utah, Colorado, Rubicon, Joshua Tree California, Oregon and of course all over Nevada. It is also my daily driver and a vehicle I use for work. My work often takes me into very remote and very limited access areas for short and long periods of time. So putting some money into what I have is certainly worth it I have a ham radio and sat phones and a locator beacons just in case. I have 4x4 friends who would come help if needed. I love my Tahoe it has never let me down in 175,000 miles. Just in the last month or so I have put over 600 miles off road with it. Take a look at my build thread and you can see most of my mods. If you have any question feel free to ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan