OS update infotainment from 21 to 22 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you pay for the monthly ATT internet connection, ( There is no way around this... save yourself some grief and just pay it...) the native vehicle nav also shows local, current traffic both with and without a destination routed. I use it daily and since it shows instructions and directions in the HUD, it is much more user friendly and doesn't try to monopolize your whole system like AA and ACP do. I hate when I get in the vehicle and either of the two want to dominate my display. With the native nav you can easily go between apps, music, Alexa etc with out missing a beat. It probably isn't quite as good as ACP or WAZE or whatever, but I just did a 1500 mile trip and it warned me of upcoming traffic , rerouted me when nec. and generally performed to travel expectations all without taking over my head unit....Not to mention a hotspot for family members to read or check information etc. on their iPads.....
Curious on how do you go about activating that with AT&T? Is there some SIM card info you need to give them or are they just able to activate it based on the vehicle?

I don’t use AT&T for mobile but if it’s cheap enough for a 1GB data plan or something that might be worth it. I’ve experimented with using my phone’s hotspot but that for some reason doesn’t work well.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pay 15 a month for unlimited data….it’s more than I want to spend, but without it a fair share of the system’s features are useless. It has come in handy more than once…. I’ve wasted money on worse things….

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the $15 2gb plan and fast internet on demand. Problem is those 2gb for my family and I is not enough. We went through it in a week. For $10 more I should have and will be upgrading to the unlimited plan.

ahmadalmousa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

wondering if there would be a OS update for the infotainment on the 21 yukon tahoe to the 22 version?
its running google app store with a lot of apps like youtube and hulu .
I was trying to find an answer to the se question. It'll really be disappointing if GM abandons updating their vehicles this quickly. Anyway, it would be a tough call if the upgrade would mean losing the rear infotainment features.

If only it would show up in the HUD like the system maps do.
I was hoping that they get this working in some future update. I can see that when starting the built-in nav, it recognizes that Android or CarPlay navigation is running where it stops before commencing nagivation.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was trying to find an answer to the se question. It'll really be disappointing if GM abandons updating their vehicles this quickly. Anyway, it would be a tough call if the upgrade would mean losing the rear infotainment features.

I was hoping that they get this working in some future update. I can see that when starting the built-in nav, it recognizes that Android or CarPlay navigation is running where it stops before commencing nagivation.

But when using nav from CarPlay or Android Auto, it doesn’t show on the RSE screens. Have to use the built in Nav in order for the rear passengers to follow along, send suggested addresses to the front screen, etc.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pay 15 a month for unlimited data….it’s more than I want to spend, but without it a fair share of the system’s features are useless. It has come in handy more than once…. I’ve wasted money on worse things….
I tried the $15 2gb plan and fast internet on demand. Problem is those 2gb for my family and I is not enough. We went through it in a week. For $10 more I should have and will be upgrading to the unlimited plan.

unlimited plan pricing must vary by where you live? We got $15 a month, $25 a month and I'm paying $20 a month...I have unlimited data plans on our cell phones too so not really sure if I even need the in car data plan but it's cheap enough so I got it

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received an email last night from onstar talking about upgrading to google. It said for eligible vehicles only and didn’t list what vehicles would be eligible. I would think it would be possible for 21’s, but who knows.

What I’m really curious about is how the maps work. I use Apple CarPlay almost exclusively because I like having traffic updated automatically. I would love to use the cars nav so directions are on the hud, but without traffic there is really no point. I’m not willing to pay for Sirius traffic either when I have it for free with apple.

I’m interested to see how google maps will maintain an internet connection without having to pay for onstar. Doesn’t seem like it will be possible.
I have a 2022 Denali. Google Maps is the Native nav, it shows traffic, and shows the turn by turn in the HUD. It is pretty awesome (and the internet connectivity was included for the first 3 years).

SLVTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did anyone find out if those with 2021 can upgrade to 22. Who could one ask?

HeavyLoads

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long time lurker... finally created an account. I would be surprised if there are any hardware constraints to upgrade the '21 to the '22 infotainment version. So, it would be unfortunate if GM lets relatively new vehicles lag on the latest software capabilities as an upgrade forcing-function. Look at the newer market entrants like Tesla and Rivian who regularly upgrade most of their fleet, so long as the hardware supports it. The infotainment in the '21s leave a lot to be desired. From what I've seen from the '22-'23s, having app access in the back seat would be huge, as Miracast is a joke. My Denali XL is a 2021, so I'm hoping to see some movement on this. I may call the dealer, but I suspect they won't know anymore than we would.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long time lurker... finally created an account. I would be surprised if there are any hardware constraints to upgrade the '21 to the '22 infotainment version. So, it would be unfortunate if GM lets relatively new vehicles lag on the latest software capabilities as an upgrade forcing-function. Look at the newer market entrants like Tesla and Rivian who regularly upgrade most of their fleet, so long as the hardware supports it. The infotainment in the '21s leave a lot to be desired. From what I've seen from the '22-'23s, having app access in the back seat would be huge, as Miracast is a joke. My Denali XL is a 2021, so I'm hoping to see some movement on this. I may call the dealer, but I suspect they won't know anymore than we would.
After having the 2022 System since Feb of 2022, I had the occasion to rent a 2021 Tahoe for a week.
Granted, it did not have the RSE, so cannot comment about that beyond what has been said.
What I can say is I think I like the 2022 better; but will tell you for a fact it has more bugs than the 2021 architecture.

I am fine w/ both, but know if you get the 2022 stuff, you will have bugs...
I am actually fine w/ bugs too; but I think GM needs a way to let us report them besides go to the dealer...as the service writers at the dealers are not IT type people...so I don't see a good way to report software issues/bugs to the OEM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout