OR VietVet Build thread for 2006 Yukon Denali XL-Cancelled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am the same way but I want to see what is in there and the condition. It runs fine with a smooth idle and lots of power but it is my inspection process. You can ask others here and also read my build thread on my Tahoe and you will see that I do replace items as a group and before they are worn out and causing concern. This truck will be no different.

I have no problem with the AC Delco plug wires. I was only assuming they may or may not have been done with plugs because I found no paperwork for that work.
It is a long term issue with me, I am not married to OEM parts but I hate putting used hard to reach parts back in. For me, spark plugs on these trucks are a pain after two back surgeries. I went back in ACDelco on both of my trucks, same with knock sensors and I even had a bad ACDelco knock sensor right out of the box.

I love the XL Denali, I will never let mine go, I will keep fixing it for however many more years I am alive. Yours looks to be in great condition, certainly better than mine when I got it.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It is a long term issue with me, I am not married to OEM parts but I hate putting used hard to reach parts back in. For me, spark plugs on these trucks are a pain after two back surgeries. I went back in ACDelco on both of my trucks, same with knock sensors and I even had a bad ACDelco knock sensor right out of the box.

I love the XL Denali, I will never let mine go, I will keep fixing it for however many more years I am alive. Yours looks to be in great condition, certainly better than mine when I got it.
Thanks. I think I got real lucky when I got this. There is some scrapes to deal with as I go but mechanically it appears to be very sound but will get a better look in the coming days. I don't have to drive it. I have the Tahoe. I normally insist on a trip to my house and up on ramps before I get serious but the vehicle was just too tempting and low mileage. I was not even looking for one when I saw it. I had been looking for a 4Runner for my girl but there is crap out there and I was just playing around at CL and all of a sudden this popped up and was the color I like. The pics of the interior got me real interested. So far, just trivial concerns, like the second row chair handles for the seat back fold down release and I ordered those today. Plan on getting title switched on Tuesday. My girl likes it enough that she is thinking of allowing me to sell the recently acquired 2002 Trail Blazer with 72k miles on it and selling the 1990 K2500 pickup truck with 129k miles on it. Between the two of us we have 4 vehicles. Don't need or want that many.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am the same way but I want to see what is in there and the condition. It runs fine with a smooth idle and lots of power but it is my inspection process. You can ask others here and also read my build thread on my Tahoe and you will see that I do replace items as a group and before they are worn out and causing concern. This truck will be no different.

I have no problem with the AC Delco plug wires. I was only assuming they may or may not have been done with plugs because I found no paperwork for that work.
Within 6 months, @OR VietVet will have changed/replaced everything in this truck, except the steering wheel.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did not know for sure but did a search and found this:

#06-06-01-019B: Information on Gradual Coolant Loss Over Time with No Evidence of Leak Found - (Jun 12, 2007)

Subject: Information on Gradual Coolant Loss Over Time With No Evidence of Leak Found

Models: 2004-2006 Buick Rainier

2001-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

2001-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Blazer, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer Models

2001-2006 GMC Envoy, Jimmy, Sierra, Yukon Models

2001-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

with 4.8L or 5.3L VORTEC® GEN III, GEN IV V8 Engine (VINs V, T, M, B, Z -- RPOs LR4, LM7, LH6, L33, L59)

So it looks like the 6.0 Castech heads problems did not effect the 6.0 engines.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, pulled #2 plug today and I see plugs stamped 41-985 and 12571164 and has the triangle stamp on the top of the plug. I used to think that the stamp on the top meant they were original plugs but now I am unsure. RA calls for 41-962 Double Platinum plugs. They do not show an iridium option. Also, if I do a search for 41-985 plugs, they do not come up at all on RA, Amazon, Genuine GM Parts, GM Parts Direct or Auto Zone. That tells me, I am assuming here, that the 41-985 is the OE plugs and the 41-962 is the updated and current double platinum plug. Does anyone here know for sure? Is the Iridium plug the 41-110?

I crawled under the truck and found no leaks at either diff, axle seals, transmission and transfer case. I did find a seepage leak of coolant at the water pump. I did also see oil drop on bottom of oil filter but is coming from above and at back of engine. I could not see if was valve covers or intake from under the vehicle but did see a driver's side oil leak at side of the valve cover. I will just go ahead and tear it down and do the knock sensors and the valve cover gaskets at same time and am debating right now about plugs and wires, till I hear from you guys about the 41-985 question. I already knew, from looking from above, that the transmission and oil cooler lines are seeping fluid. The oil leak is definitely from above and not where the oil cooler lines attach at the engine.

20231030_140829.jpg20231030_140844.jpg20231030_140858.jpg20231030_140913.jpg20231030_142136.jpg

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Soooo, with this info my list of plans for this truck has grown and now is:

1. Complete fluids change
2. Transmission filter
3. Oil and filter change
4. Water pump and thermostat
5. Knock sensors and all related seals/gaskets
6. Valve cover gaskets
7. Plugs and wires
8. Purge valve-no codes but is easy to get to and when filling fuel, it did not like the max fill speed but was ok at any point slower
9. Air filter and cabin air filter if needed
10. Clean throttle body and MAF

Further inspections are needed of the brakes and steering/suspension. I do see newer Pitman arm and idler arm and paperwork does back that up. It just had a new alternator installed and a new battery. Had a used heater and a/c control unit recently installed and it does work as it should. The heater is hot and the a/c is cold.

I am going to pay close attention to hubs and sensors as well.

When I crawled under the vehicle, all I saw was surface rust at a few places but no where did I see a concern.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Others (in other threads) have noted the iridium plugs that can be used. When I changed mine, I found the same thing you did -- GM doesn't spec the iridiums as replacements. See the link below for how it was resolved for me. I was okay with using the double platinums for mine since I don't put many miles on Red Hoe.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Others (in other threads) have noted the iridium plugs that can be used. When I changed mine, I found the same thing you did -- GM doesn't spec the iridiums as replacements. See the link below for how it was resolved for me. I was okay with using the double platinums for mine since I don't put many miles on Red Hoe.

Well, that tells me I am likely correct, that the 41-985 plugs in there now, are likely the original plugs. The plug wires show AC Delco stamping on them and not GM or Packard. That tells me that at one time, the owner did change out the wires. When I do the plugs, I will be doing wires at the same time. Thanks @Fless for clearing that up.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that tells me I am likely correct, that the 41-985 plugs in there now, are likely the original plugs. The plug wires show AC Delco stamping on them and not GM or Packard. That tells me that at one time, the owner did change out the wires. When I do the plugs, I will be doing wires at the same time. Thanks @Fless for clearing that up.

The brown on the plugs surely makes 'em look original. Also, and I can't be precise from a pic, but that gap looks large- indicative of wear from higher mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts