Opinions on Towing with Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have autoride you wont need them. Autoride will do the same thing and level the load. Ive never towed with a tahoe with autoride but my 2008 denali autoride doesnt sag one bit when loaded down.

OP
OP
Y

YukonBill

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend good replacement rear shocks for the Autoride? Mine seem to leak down after the vehicle sits for an hour or so

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to maintain auto dampening, the Monroe's are the best deal and will perform like OEM (via amazon or rockauto);

Monroe 40034 "Rear; Escalade Base Model; w/ Electronic Suspension" $238x2
Monroe 40044 "Front; w/ Electronic Suspension" $238x2

If you only want to maintain auto leveling, and are willing to loose the auto dampening, the Arnott/Bilstein shocks (ARNOTT AS-2127) will save you some money compared to the Monroes, at $350 for the pair on ebay.

I personally did the Monroe's on the front, where the effects of the auto-dampening are significant and went with the Arnott/Bilstein product in the rear, to save a few dollars where I could. You could also use standard shocks and resistors to bypass the SCM, which is the cheapest options, but results in the worst ride quality.

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly goes on with auto-dampening?

Auto dampening is part of the autoride system and uses dynamic and variable valving in the shock absorbers to adjust dampening electronically. This allows the vehicle to switch from firm to stiff shock response based on actual road and vehicle conditions. The GM system in the NBS uses 6 sensors, 4 to judge height, one to judge yaw and one to judge steering wheel position, which are used as inputs into the SCM, which then has outputs cabled to each shock, so that they can be adjust individually.

Dave01

Reaction score
Wow, I never knew that, thanks for the info. How about in my 2010 NNBS, same system?

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I never knew that, thanks for the info. How about in my 2010 NNBS, same system?

Autoride in a NNBS is similar but uses Magnetic fluid in the shocks to adjust dampening, instead of valves, which makes it adjust much faster then the older system in the NBS. Generally speaking they work similar but the NNBS is a little more refined/better version.

Dave01

Reaction score
Wow, a lot going on in that system! I guess when I drive home tonight I'll have a bit more appreciation for that smooth ride!

OP
OP
Y

YukonBill

Reaction score
So do the rear shocks on a 2001 with Autoride have electronic damping like the fronts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909